• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Refurbished PCM/ECU or go Megasquirt?

rockosocko

NAXJA Forum User
First off, it's a 1996 Cherokee 2dr, 2wd, 4cyl, 5spd and 8.25 (4.10)

I usually like to have duplicate systems for whatever vehicle I am driving so if things go arye, I might not be down soo long.

(there IS a question in here that's relevent.. just bear with me)

Besides my 88 Comanche (and a buds jeep) I've never personally seen another Jeep xj with a 4cyl/manual trans. For all the decades that I've been going to salvage yards either.
Picked up this 2dr last fall and fixed little stuff along the way and since I brought it home, it had a slight coolant loss. Finally had water in oil. Did head swap from a 01 dakota (117 head) Got it all back together and NO START..
Which lead me on a rabbit trail chasing current and voltage through ASD, CPS etc.. And ending with me checking the PCM plugs.
The black tape around the black plug should've told me something, but before the 'water in oil' You wouldve never thought that it had issues. ALWAYS started and ran pretty well considering the 206K mi.

Going out yarding and EVERY xj that I come to the ECU/PCM is gone. And am reading horror stories of peeps getting screwed by vendors or shops.
In addition, they were ALL 6cyls..

Has anyone out here tried to run thier xj on Mega-squirt?
I'm just throwing it out there and NOT trying to start a verbal war.
I also tried doing the 'search' with PCM, ECU and "0" came up.
I even searched in the Vendor section..

I'm just throwing it out there as a 'maybe' and might not even have the time to dig into it that far since I have V8 planned in the future, depending on how this repair goes.

Thanks E

Wow that 96 is by itself. Less than a dozen computers on car-part. Less on eBay all pricy.
Some of the part # 56041245, 56041174, 56041287

I've had people walk up to our door trying to buy my old 2.8 XJ because they saw it had a 5 speed. Finding a 5 or 4 speed XJ was a rare thing.

I have extra wiring harnesses and ecu/pcms for our jeeps just incase. Well except for the new commander that is a bag of hurt if that pcm fails.
80's & 90's cars had often questionable wiring and plastic. Had a couple of cars that needed new wiring to get them right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Green Mesa"-- It's a fuel injection operational system (electronic ECU) that you build yourself, or they can do it for you. $$. And you 'adapt' it to your sensors/sending units using the now NEW ecu/pcm etc, and will talk to THAT operational system (like timing/advance curve, fuel, temps and or pressures)
That way one can adjust/tweak all parameters of the new injection system with a laptop
It came out way back in the late 80's early 90's i think.
But since I HATE wiring, never tried it.

BUT, on that note I apologize for not just waiting and 'googling' it at home. (work computers have all sorts of
filters on it and don't seem to have the same search results as at home)
I've found several by googling and even some on here.

On the rarity, Yes, fairly rare around me. I've only seen 1, O N E xj that was a 5spd (4wd) in a salvage yard near me in the 30+yrs that I've been here.
In addition, This wiring 'challenge' might not need a ECU/PCM. Just trying to expand my horizons.
And some might ask WHY, It's because for one it's old wiring and who knows what was spliced in the life of the jeep.
From what I've read so far, Jeep didn't use the BEST wiring systems/wire/controls.
It would be ONLY for the motor and not the rest of the electronics. It's a base S model and not like my son's 01 Sport.
That would be a nightmare.

Thanks
E

Oh, I never heard of them, the cars I played with from that era had computers you couldn't swap or tune much.
Honestly I would buy a spare pcm, even at a higher cost just to have it.
I'd also call or email on of those yards showing the pcm and see if they still have the engine harness. Might not for a lot or reasons like cutting it or crushing the jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2wd and 4wd show the same computer. I did did search for wiring harnesses, I found a place that says they have it for 2.5 4wd 5sp, you have 2wd so I guess it wouldn't work without modding it. Or leaving things you don't have unplugged. You may not need or want it, just thought I'd mention it.

Engine Harness Wiring
Jeep Cherokee 2.5L 4X4
Condition: A
Stock: # 96102
Price: $Call
ABC Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-NE(North-Platte) 1-800-422-4683
http://www.abcsalvage.com

Also have Dash Wiring Harness & Body Wiring Harness

With the number of hoarders on here, just post up a wanted ad and I bet you can find one in a day or two for cheap.

Back