• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

error code 171

danald

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what code 171 is on the OBD II reader ( I lost my book)? My Jeep is a 99 Jeep Cherokee and when it get warmed up it no longer has any power. The more I step on the gas the more sluggish it gets

danald said:
Does anyone know what code 171 is on the OBD II reader ( I lost my book)? My Jeep is a 99 Jeep Cherokee and when it get warmed up it no longer has any power. The more I step on the gas the more sluggish it gets

For starters, either the whole code is "P0171" (a powertrain code, defined by SAE,) or you're somehow midreading the code - because if it's not a letter and four digits, it's a two-digit code - either two 0-9 digits (decimal) or two 0-9 + A-F digits (hexadecimal.) So, please clarify.

Second, I have a listing of Jeep OBD-II codes from FSMs up here (http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/obd2.html) - A "P0171" code is "Fuel System Lean" - I'd start by running some injector cleaner through, you may have a clogged nozzle.

Feel free to pillage around the site - I try to put up only factory or SAE information there, so that explains why the coverage is spotty (I'm still accumulating data. Pretty much everything I've posted has come from a "paper" FSM that's on my shelf...) Let me know if I can add anything else that you may find useful.

Nice code list. The codes on the left are OBD 1 - Codes in the middle are ? and Codes on the right are OBD 2? I've never seen a list showing both codes.....very neat.

It is P0171. I believe it is the fuel pump, because I noticed that it is making a ton of noise. I replaced it 3 years ago from one I bought from PEP Boys. Does anyone have a recomendation What brand I should buy and how much?

Blaine B. said:
Nice code list. The codes on the left are OBD 1 - Codes in the middle are ? and Codes on the right are OBD 2? I've never seen a list showing both codes.....very neat.

The codes prefixed with the letter "P" are the SAE standard codes. The two-digit decimal and hexadecimal codes are "vendor" codes - they're the ones that Chrysler uses internally. However, the "P0" codes answer to an SAE standard, and are usually what you get (and I should probably re-arrage that list in order or "P" codes, instead of the vendor codes.)

The two-digit decimal codes in the OBD-II chart are not the same as the OBD-I codes - although a few may coincide (I haven't checked.) There are also some "vendor" codes that aren't up there yet - I need to update that list.

Back