• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Body Panels?

FJH97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing The Bushwacker flares in the rear but I want to install a steel rod between the gaps of the rear quarter panel & the wheel well. I'm using a MillerMatic 210 w/ .030 wire. What settings should I use as far as temp. & wire speed & also tips to weld the rod without burn thru. Thanks

First you said steel "rod",if you mean "solid" thats going to make things tough.Your best bet is to use tubing and keep it thin so your materials match better.Also try to use .023" wire.What gas are you using,CO2 welds hotter than 75/25.

Use a low temp setting. Try to keep the heat on the rod more so than the sheet metal. IE:For every stitch weld you do,burn on the rod for 1 full second,and then move to the sheet metal for 1/2 second. This will allow good penitration into the rod while not overheating the sheet metal. Remember--STITCH WELDS!! Unless,of course,you like having wavy quarter panels :laugh:

Mike has it dead on. VERY short stitch welds. Are you prepared to repaint? Those bushwackers may be big enough to cover the burnt paint though.

Sean

I'm using 75/25 gas. You said use a low temp setting, what about wire speed? I'll be repainting w/ bed liner in the tub & up to the flare on the outside. As far as stitch welding how long should they be before I go to another spot? Thanks.

The metal is thin! IMHO think spot welds!

Take a spare piece of your rod and some of the sheetmetal you cut off and do some practice. If you don't have enough sheet to play with take some tin snips down to the junk yard and cut a piece off a junked xj. Remember that you are welding on galvanized metal and it is toxic. Try not to breathe it in i.e. don't be standing directly over what you are welding. Don't use a fan either though as it will blow your shielding gas away. This is a good outside in the driveway project.

Spot welds will do you the best for warpage. Problem is getting enough heat into the rod. I'd just make a small puddle on the rod and work it into the sheetmetal. Do this about every 3-4 inches around the well. Once you've gotten to the other end you can go back and start all over. This is going to take a loooooooonnnngggg time.

Sean

The reason i'm doing it like this is because I've heard that when you cut past the spot welds it weakin's the panels. Is this true? otherwise i'd just put some of that spray foam to seal up the gap. If it dosn't weakin the panel I'm wondering if I cut back some of the tub metal & fold & tack weld the panel then fill in w/ the foam if that would be good enough. Thanks again. Fred

Back