• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: A paint job

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Looking for someone that does auto painting on the side. I have a 16' trailer that I plan on keeping for a while. The rust on this thing isn't getting any better with time, so I'd like to get it sand blasted and re-painted with quality auto paint. Whoever I take this to will need to have all the tools (adequate sand blaster, compressor, sprayer, etc.).

Any painters here looking for a side job? Must be in San Diego County.

Assuming you mean a car hauler, I found the hot setup on my trailer was to buy a gallon of gloss black rustoleum oil based paint and brush it by hand. Prep work doesn't need to be that good, A quick once over with wire brush/wheel and lay the paint on.

Holding up excellent so far, but its only been a year.

Last edited:
macco in escondido is supposed to do good work on the cheap. i know at least half a dozen people who have raved about them. you wont be able to buy the paint for the price they can do it for, i'm sure.

Uh oh! Better call Maaco!
...I did and they only paint autos, no trailers :(

I thought about rattle canning it...it's the prep I don't want to deal with!

macco in escondido is supposed to do good work on the cheap. i know at least half a dozen people who have raved about them. you wont be able to buy the paint for the price they can do it for, i'm sure.

I just got quoted 1100 bucks :wierd:
100 per door jam, 100 for hatch, 75 for underside of hood, 150 for the bay. 450 for exterior. This was with a simple "white" paint. So 1100 before tax was the quote...ill be looking for a different route..PVC & plastic and a good compressor I guess.

I just got quoted 1100 bucks :wierd:
100 per door jam, 100 for hatch, 75 for underside of hood, 150 for the bay. 450 for exterior. This was with a simple "white" paint. So 1100 before tax was the quote...ill be looking for a different route..PVC & plastic and a good compressor I guess.

Just do what i did to mine "rhino line" it. same texture works great, and i paid about 200 for material and some elbow grease... :) i love it!

Gonna go rustoleum enamel. Gonna paint inside m jeep while its stripped..also going to do the doors. Then going to roll the outside...probably 10 or so quotes with wet sanding. it doesnt need to be perfect just hold up to the constant sun. Ad scratches from the trail.

I'd like to get it sand blasted and re-painted with quality auto paint.

You could always have a shop sand blast it and do the painting yourself. Any of the powdercoating companies should handle that with no problem. I'm doing the same with my 12' trailer. I stripped all the lights and other misc stuff and let them blast it clean.

You could always have a shop sand blast it and do the painting yourself. Any of the powdercoating companies should handle that with no problem. I'm doing the same with my 12' trailer. I stripped all the lights and other misc stuff and let them blast it clean.

How much did they charge to sand blast your 12' trailer, if you don't mind me asking?

$350. It would have been a royal pain to strip myself, the trailer has lots of powder coated, expanded metal surfaces. The original powder coat was bubbling and corroded underneath and it all had to be removed.

I was hoping someone would respond to this I got a bug I wanna get painted as well. Maybe if I take my bug plus your trailer we can get a group discount lol.

if you are going to the effort of sand blasting it why not just have them powder coat it while they are at? IT is pretty Cheap, most of the time getting it painted with auto paint will cost more. Rustoleum on the other hand is a great product that will last about 5-10 years, i like to put it on with a roller, but if you got that route i would just hit the rusty/loose spots with a wire wheel and start painting

PS for sandblasting and powder coating i use this place called AFS (advanced finish f???) it is right at the south west corner of the 60/215/91 Interchange in Riverside, they are really good and cheap

Back