• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirtbound Extreme Winch bumper

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Finally installed my Extreme Winch bumper. Looks good, fits good, overall pretty happy. There was a little weld spatter here and there, but that was cleaned up quickly with the flap disc on my grinder. There were a couple nicks in the bumper that looked like they resulted from a slip with the grinder or cutter during fabrication, but nothing that looks detrimental, both were very small. Plus, it's a handmade bumper, you want absolute perfection, you're gonna be paying double for a laser cut/welded Warn or whatever.

My only real complaint was the hardware. The only hardware I received was 10 Grade 5 bolts to hold the bumper to the brackets, but nothing to hold the brackets to the heep. Luckily I had won the CRok steering brace at SoCal Fest, so I had hardware for the driver's side. I had planned on using the CRok brace in place of the supplied driver's side bracket but couldn't because of the bumper mount style.
At first, I was cursing Max for being different and foiling my plans, but then last night after I went out and bought the remaining hardware (plus replacing the Grade 5 bolts with Grade 8), his different approach and the logic behind it became apparent. I was able to mount the brackets on the Jeep and then just slide the bumper on top and let it sit there while I bolted it up - no second person, no jack required! :woohoo:

Overall, somethings could've been better (slow to receive, but I knew that going in), little sloppy on cleanup (weld spatter, but easy to cleanup myself), missing/inadequate hardware (annoying, but hardware's cheap), but I am very satisfied with my new bumper and none of the issues above would cause me to hesitate in buying form him again.

Mind you, this was all before/during/immediately following the move to the new shop.

DirtboundExtremeWinchbumper1.jpg

Here it is on the Jeep

DirtboundExtremeWinchbumper3.jpg

Not being careful while carrying it past the nose...

DirtboundExtremeWinchbumper2.jpg

Back side is left open, so I painted the front cross member to match the bumper

DirtboundExtremeWinchbumper4.jpg

My attempt at making the lasercut logo pop....painted Ford Blue behind bracket, but I didn't get it sprayed completely in the right spot.

That is a good looking bumper!

Looks similar to the one I built, I dont have any round tubing on mine though and i didn't go for the winch plate like that either but when I get a winch it will prolly look more or less like this, nice bumper.

how do you feel about the approach angle now that its on?
I'm thinking of doing the DIY version of this bumper....

Seems higher than my old JCR Prerunner winch bumper. Sits in fairly tight to the nose as well.

I bought the knock down kit myself. The parts were cut perfect really simple to weld together. A friend had better welding skills so he did most of the welding. It saved me time with the grinder :eek:
We did modify it a little for kicks. I notice others have the bumper tight to the body this jeep has been hit in the front I now wonder if the frame is tweeked ?
I'm very happy with the bumper!

2665fe8b.jpg

8ea755c6.jpg

b726a877.jpg

Had to have the matching rear bumper too !
c1398793.jpg

Nice bumper. Good info. I'll be buying one of these. OP, did you buy the DIY kit? I'm assuming you did because you mentioned splatter.

Darky had a pre welded one. We now how a larger welder (Miller 252) and it is laying much cleaner welds with virtually no spatter, we try to scrape it off before shipping but some must have slipped by on his...

Darky had a pre welded one. We now how a larger welder (Miller 252) and it is laying much cleaner welds with virtually no spatter, we try to scrape it off before shipping but some must have slipped by on his...

Cool. Thanks for the reply. This is my favorite looking bumper on the market. I will def. be buying the front DIY kit. Does the pre-welded kit allow room for frame stiffeners in the front? My old bumper wouldn't go back on because of that.

Back