• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driver wheel grinding partway through turning not bearings

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Thoroughly disgusted....was sure it was the bearing, replaced it and same issue. It's a 99 with about 160k on it...getting it to a guy tomorrow to weld new rockers on. This is what I feared..putting more money into it and then more issues.

It sounds/feels like a metal not plastic grinding. Not at full turn and not when straight, just partway through turning RIGHT. Axle ujoints good, I replaced those maybe 6 years ago, no play at all, bearing brand new and no visible control arm rub or anywhere else. decent gap between brake dust shield so I don't think it's that.

Only thing I saw new when i pulled the wheel is oil on the bottom of the shock. Is there any possibility the shock is somehow causing this issue under load and when moving? We jacked up up and nothing when just going through steering.... has to be moving and partway through turning right. Any thoughts appreciated!

I. am. an. idiot.

Lesson learned here... have someone stand outside the vehicle and observe when the issue is happening instead of doing 10 minutes of research online and throwing parts at something. As it turns out, somehow the stupid inner fender cover came loose on the front and was rubbing the tire.

*Homer Simpson DOH!* I can't laugh because I've had my fair share of missing the obvious.

I wasted 2 hours last week trying to figure out why some software wasn't working and the last entries in the logs were from 4 years ago. The date on the computer was set to 2018.

*Homer Simpson DOH!* I can't laugh because I've had my fair share of missing the obvious.

I wasted 2 hours last week trying to figure out why some software wasn't working and the last entries in the logs were from 4 years ago. The date on the computer was set to 2018.

I can appreciate that, I work in IT LOL! This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever done in my 17 years of owning cherokees. I am blaming part of it though on my anxiety of having to give it up for a few days for a guy to do the welding. I just had it in my head that something was going to happen before the job that would make me rethink it and decide to retire it when I could no longer get it inspected due to the rust. The most hardcore I've done is replacing the front axle ujoints, I don't do any welding at all. So yeah I replaced a perfectly good bearing because the wheel liner came loose. My dad and I looked around under it and checked the steering linkage and everything.. just couldn't figure it out. I still can't believe it.

It’s a 20 year old (at least) car. You are coming at things all wrong if your getting this upset over a cyclic scraping noise.
A $80 unit bearing, and 2-3 hours labor is not worth getting this upset over!

I’d consider it a wrenching lesson.

It’s a 20 year old (at least) car. You are coming at things all wrong if your getting this upset over a cyclic scraping noise.
A $80 unit bearing, and 2-3 hours labor is not worth getting this upset over!

I’d consider it a wrenching lesson.

Yeah, I know! I've just been so paranoid about something happening that would take it off the road at this point. No way it would pass inspection as it was so that's why I'm having new rocker panels put on it. Other thing with bearings is that my brother had an S10 lock a bearing up and the wheel literally broke off going about 50..he was lucky it was on the passenger side otherwise he woulda went into oncoming traffic. So I always think about that situation when I start to hear stuff grinding and whatnot.

On top of it all, I went through a divorce in 19 and don't have a job that pays very well so I really can't get a new car or even a "used" car at this point. That's the main reason I get so freaked out about any little noise...I just have to keep this thing going as long as I can. Hoping to get another year or 2 out of it once the rockers have been replaced and I do some body work on it.

Back