• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warm Knock

SFXJ125

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, haven’t been on in quite some time. I started the Heep up last night for the first time in over two years!
‘97 4.0 w/new 2000 intake manifold and exhaust all the way to the tail.
Experienced the same noises coming from her as I did when stored 2 years ago. Since I have a little bit more time and money now, I’m finally going to try and figure out what the knocking is. But, I’m asking for y’all’s expertise in diagnosing the issue.
Upon startup, I don’t hear any knocking. Once she gets warm, the knocking starts. Sounds like it’s coming from lower end towards rear of engine.
From what I’ve read, it could be a number of things. I’m almost positive it’s not the flexplate. Checked for loose bolts and looked for cracks/flex two years ago. Everything checked out.
Oil pressure per the cluster was reading 35-40 last night. New pressure sender a couple years ago before she went into garage.
I think it’s rod or bearing related, but not sure the best way to diagnose that....
I’ve also read about guys pulling the valve cover off and diagnosing the top end, but I’m not sure what I should dig into first.
It has always knocked since I purchased back in 2012, and I haven’t noticed it get any louder over the years or miles I’ve put on it.
Where do you guys think I should start?
Thanks in advance.

Run thicker oil and see if it gets better. If it goes away, stay with that weight oil and run it until it craters.

Thanks, that was what I was going to try since it’s been sitting for so long. I have read up on Rotella T4 w/marvel mystery - never ran it before.

Any other suggestions for brand/weight?

Back