NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 30th, 2007, 21:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: [Tech Writeup] Replacing the seals on your Dana 30

Thank you very much for such a good write up. I'll be referring to this this spring or summer.
Old December 30th, 2007, 22:00
NAXJA Forum User

Nice writeup. I'd like to offer some additional advice tho - if you use a wire wheel (in a drill motor or on an angle grinder,) use a light touch! The steel wires that (usually) make up wire wheels are harder than the cast iron used in the housing, and you can very easily gouge the sealing surfaces if you press too hard. While you can use RTV on the gasket to make up for that, why buy trouble? You already have a Jeep - you get plenty of trouble for free...

Sometimes, you can find brass wire wheels at Sears or at local hardware stores in the clearance bins (for about a buck each,) which I prefer to use on sealing surfaces. Also, you can get Scotch-Brite Roloc disks and backing pads at the better-stocked parts houses and hardware stores, which aren't metal at all (and also leave an excellent texture to encourage gasket sealing. Not too smooth, not too rough - I find that the surface texture they leave also helps to encourage head gasket sealing...)
Old December 30th, 2007, 22:43
"Mmmm. More please."

Good job Mike. That was some gooood carne asada.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:43
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinafly
Good job Mike. That was some gooood carne asada.
Kyung, you layed the most even bead of silicone i have ever seen in my life. haha.
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:47
NAXJA Member #631

Location: Gardena(90247), SoCal Where the 91/405/110 Fwys come together

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper
Kyung, you layed the most even bead of silicone i have ever seen in my life. haha.
Yeah I'd have to agree! Nice touch there Kyung laying down the bead!

Good write up, and the pics do all the justice for dumbasses like me!

Carne Asada?!? Damn if I was only paying attention I would have dropped in at Branden's to help... Or at least eat, drink a couple of beers, and played air drums in the garage band.. LOL

BTW, Do you pick up your Carne Asada at La Venadita in Carson??

Again great job on the write up.

Scott
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:01
NAXJA Member

Well done!!!! I just did minw last night. Seals, U-joints and a new locker. Im about to go out and finish it up.

Again, well done!!!

Kenny
Old January 10th, 2008, 16:17
NAXJA Forum User

Great writeup!

FYI, you were very close to making life easy when you stuck that socket on the end of the unit-bearing bolt. Check this out:

Just turn the wheel and pop it off. You can that Stu Olson for that tip.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm
Old January 10th, 2008, 17:21
"Mmmm. More please."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos
Great writeup!

FYI, you were very close to making life easy when you stuck that socket on the end of the unit-bearing bolt. Check this out:

Just turn the wheel and pop it off. You can that Stu Olson for that tip.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm
I think I like it.
Old January 10th, 2008, 17:26
NAXJA Forum User

Great TECH Writeup!!!
Deserves becoming a STICKY!!
Old January 10th, 2008, 19:40
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQue
Great TECH Writeup!!!
Deserves becoming a STICKY!!
One question, why remove the driveshaft?
Old January 10th, 2008, 20:08
NAXJA Forum User

good point...doesn't look like the driveshaft needs to be removed unless you are going to change the pinion seal while you are in there...
Old January 10th, 2008, 20:38
Dead man walking

sorry i guess i left that out, i was also chasing a squeak that turned out to be in the double cardon joint in the driveshaft... i supposed you could leave it in but hey,
who doesnt want to take 2 mins to pull thier shaft

i was originally planning on changing the pinion bearings as well but it turned out they werent bad, and the seal is only seeping so i decided best not to mess with it... plus im lazy thanks for the comments guys, anything i do to my jeep im going to document now.. maybe it will help someone else who gets stuck along the way.
Old January 10th, 2008, 20:50
NAXJA Forum User

awesome write-up man but why do you want to keep this great tech for your local boys. us east coasters love to read this stuff too.

as far as a local tech forum, i think we need a tech archive section to this forum. im also into hot rods and i frequent the HAMB message board at jalopyjournal.com they have a tech archive that is a vast reference to everything traditional hot rod tech. we need something like that here so great write-ups like these don't get buried in the abyss of threads like "is my cracked manifold a common problem?".

btw, i loved your comic relief.
Old January 10th, 2008, 21:19
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerShark
awesome write-up man but why do you want to keep this great tech for your local boys. us east coasters love to read this stuff too.
its not so much that i wanted to keep it local, its just that stuff gets lost in the national forums to easily, and nobody seems to care. ive seen some great writeups in the past and they just go away without a second glance. i think it discourages more people from doing them... i mean whats the point, the post is going to be buried in a day anyway. and its a pain searching for this stuff because so many questions get asked about the same subjects that it takes an hour to find what you are looking for. thats the only reason i suggested maybe a local forum, where there are less posts, would be a good idea since the national BOD seemed like they didnt want to deal with it. anyways, without getting into politics too much i just wanted it to be easy to find the writeups, thats all

Quote:
btw, i loved your comic relief.
haha thanks im a jokester, if i take something seriously im pissed
Old January 10th, 2008, 21:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper
its not so much that i wanted to keep it local, its just that stuff gets lost in the national forums to easily, and nobody seems to care. ive seen some great writeups in the past and they just go away without a second glance. i think it discourages more people from doing them... i mean whats the point, the post is going to be buried in a day anyway. and its a pain searching for this stuff because so many questions get asked about the same subjects that it takes an hour to find what you are looking for. thats the only reason i suggested maybe a local forum, where there are less posts, would be a good idea since the national BOD seemed like they didnt want to deal with it. anyways, without getting into politics too much i just wanted it to be easy to find the writeups, thats all
this is why we need a tech archive. admins can move the worthy posts into this section. its almost like the FAQ sticky but much deeper. it can have those FAQ's and the great write ups that show up from time to time. it could even be categorized, i think this is something that this forum really needs to consider because this forum gets older and there are so many great posts that are impossible to find. check out this great write-up that was never even replied to. must have been posted and disappeared into the abyss of .