• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ dies, unplug something, starts, but dies 5 minutes later

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
ok, my xj started acting up on me...

there is a plug on the driverside alomst against the firewall and has 5 wires coming out of it... and 3 are bundled together with some sort of shield (looks like aluminum tape) the other 2 are grey and black.... well my truck died.... so i start checking connections and happen to remember a thread that i just cant find anymore about unplugging this plug and letting it reset like and plugging it back in and it works...

thats what its doing to me now.. just got back to my house after an hour and a half going 25mile.... sometimes it will stay on for 10 minutes, sometimes 1 minute...

any ideas? i have good fuel pressure (i checked just now and the pump is 2 months old).... spark is fine, but not when it dies on me...i loose my spark... but the coil tests fine.... any ideas?

thanks

JOe

Check the fuel pump resister on drivers side fender under hood, it's a white ceramic block with 2 wires. The sensor they are talking about is the crankshaft sensor on bell housing. The connection is back by firewall on the intake manifold clipped to small steel bracket 3 wires on it Drivers side badge714

Just for giggles, you might check to make sure that your battery cables are tight at all the connection points.
Mine were just the slightest bit loose the other day...
I got in to start it up & nothing happened.
Tightened the terminals on the battery, let it sit for a second & then it started right up.
Doesn't sound like the same problem you're having, but might be worth it just to double-check them.

maybe the ignition module? i just replaced mine saturday. it would run for two days, then it wouldn't start. now it runs great.

I have a '90 xj and the ignition module sits under the ignition coil. it's on the left hand side behind the battery. just follow the center spark plug wire from the distributor cap to the coil. autozone can test it for you. they run about $100. someone had told me that the modules only last around 100,000 miles or so. but, i'm not sure if that's true or not. If you have a different set up on your '89, maybe someone else could help you out. I think they should be the same.

figured it out....

was the Crank Positioning Sensor..... damnit.... at least it wasnt the ECU or something like that....

JOe

Back