• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driver's window not working

cbs_24

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

My drivers window stopped operating yesterday. Its a 1997 with automatic windows. About four months ago all the windows were working intermittently from the drivers switch, so I replaced the entire switch assembly with a new one and it fixed the issue completely. Currently, all the lights on the switch are still illuminated and the drivers side switch still rolls the other windows up and down, so I don't think its a power to the switch issue. I can't really obviously hear the motor trying to work when I push the drivers window button down. Anybody have any suggestions on how to narrow down the problem? Its HOT in Florida right now, so I need to be able to roll that window down. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Not a solution but to piggyback on your issue, my switch that allows others to roll their windows down is troubled. I have to roll all windows on the driver door. Nobody else can control their windows. Maybe there's a similar solution?

Drivers door wire harness issues are very common. Test and visually inspect for chafed wire insulation, broken/damaged wires, and failed wire splices. Apply 12 volts directly to the window motor. Drivers door master switch issues are also somewhat common, usually cold or failed solder joints.

The child safety lock-out switch can fail, and then only the driver can operate the other windows. Replace the master switch, or Google for the lock-out bypass.

The child safety lock-out switch can fail, and then only the driver can operate the other windows. Replace the master switch, or Google for the lock-out bypass.

How would the child safety lockout prevent the driver's window from rolling down? :dunno:

Also if he has power to the switch, then the door harness can't be the issue. It's either a bad solder joint in the switch or the motor for the window itself.

I answered two posters questions in one reply.

If there is power to the switch, that doesn't mean that there is power to the window motor. Inspection and testing of the wire harness should incudes all the circuits.

Thanks for all the info everyone. To further complicate the situation after I bought a new AC Delco motor/regulator last night, I got in my car this afternoon and now the window is working flawlessly (did not work this morning). I can't replicate the issue. Is it possible that the regulator/motor is still going bad and could benefit from replacement or do I have electrical gremlins that I need to work out?

It's most likely a broken solder joint in the window switch. You can see how bad they were on my 98.

04EA068C-50EE-4259-9957-2AEBC28DADEB.jpg

D6FBF8B6-CBDC-4EC1-BB78-18FD9ADBB60D.jpg

Testing and inspection are cheap and easy. Knowing what is actually wrong so you can buy the correct repair parts, or perform the correct repair procedures, is priceless.

I've encountered the cold solder joint problem. Having left my soldering gun at home, I heated the end of a small, cheap screw driver over the stove and pressed it to each joint to correct the problem. Far as I know, it's still going.

The switch is easy to disassemble.

Back