• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Stiffener Bake Off

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I've done some homework with frame stiffeners, and I've come to probably the same conclusion everyone here does. There are basically 3 vendors that are resonable and are NAXJA sponsors:

HD Offroad
10 Gauge
Pre-drilled (like, a lot)
Extend from the LCA mount to the to the front of the rear spring hanger.
$130 Shipped

Ruff Stuff
Larger front to back, extend to wheel well
Wider side to side, 1" onto the floor
Pre-drilled
$169.00 Shipped

TnT Customs
3/16"
NOT Pre-Drilled
designed to work with the T&T Customs Y-Link Radius Arm System
$108 + Shipping

As long as I'm at it, I'm thinking of doing front frame stiffeners as well.

I am going to be installing the Y-Link Radius arms.

Does any one of these products stand out significantly over the other? If so, why?

well, the first thing would be that the TNT ones are not pre-drilled... but i guess it depends on how much all that drilling is worth to ya.

just installed some ruffstuff, they were obviously designed for a late model, as the bolts that hold the seat slider to the unibody were in the way, minor fitment issue, but i bet they designed it on a 95+!

Also one of the crossmember bolt holes was in the wrong place (CONVIENIENTLY the one w/ the bolt, not the stud, if it was the other way around it'd be harder to mock up, as the stud would be in the way)

also, at the tail end of the RS stiffeners, theres this weird allmost-triangle shaped peice, i dunno what they were thinking, but even with a sledge hammer theres no way to bend it up once youve got the rest welded on, i had a 1/8-to-1/4 gap, obviously you can only really fill 1/8th or so.. so the rearest part is unwelded/waiting to be cut/off....

anyone wanna comment on fitment issues on the other two?

shipping/build times are ALLWAYS important, i ordered mine online sunday afternoon, had em friday =\

dgrigorenko - The drilling thing really is HUGE. I don't have a press, so it would be a PITA

XCM - Thanks for the fitment input; I don't remember reading that anywhere else (not that it isn't out there, but I just either breezed by it or missed it completely).

anyone wanna comment on fitment issues on the other two?

shipping/build times are ALLWAYS important, i ordered mine online sunday afternoon, had em friday =\

Fitment of the HDO's was flawless (with the ovious exeption of notching for the third hole and drilling for the installation that the TNT belly skid uses). as far as shipping goes, i had them in three days, but i suppose it could depend on where you are in the country.

since your going to long arms (TNT) I would suggest the RS set as it pushes forward further than the others do which is an added benefit.

I have the TNT y-link with their stiffiners, they are great, but having cut off the stock control arm mount its seems like a waste to have NOT gone forward with the frame plating the way the RS ones do.

as long as your floor is still there (mine is not so much) and you have something to weld too, the RS seems like a great idea for your needs.

dgrigorenko - The drilling thing really is HUGE. I don't have a press, so it would be a PITA

XCM - Thanks for the fitment input; I don't remember reading that anywhere else (not that it isn't out there, but I just either breezed by it or missed it completely).

If you get in a bind you can use my drill press BYOB (bring your own bit) if you have more than a dozen holes to drill.

John

John - thanks. And thanks again for all the advice over on Nova.

I'm thinking I'll go with the RuffStuff Stiffeners, HD Offroad front stiffeners, and I'll with the advice I got from John, I have to do some custom plating for the bottom rail from the front bumper back...oh, and get a steering box stiffener too.

Grrr, why did they ever start the C.A.R.S. program?(my Jeep swap)

Just wanna add something, the TNT sitffeners aren't pre-bent either. They have relief cuts where the bends go, and they want you to weld on the front end and then jack up the back to bend it into place.

Me and another guy on here are starting up a fab company, and we're doing stiffeners. The ones we make are made of 3/16" like TNTs, but they're bent and drilled like HDO, and they span from the leaf spring box to the front wheel well. We're selling those for $100, and we can ship em to ya however you want.

Just wanna add something, the TNT sitffeners aren't pre-bent either. They have relief cuts where the bends go, and they want you to weld on the front end and then jack up the back to bend it into place.

Me and another guy on here are starting up a fab company, and we're doing stiffeners. The ones we make are made of 3/16" like TNTs, but they're bent and drilled like HDO, and they span from the leaf spring box to the front wheel well. We're selling those for $100, and we can ship em to ya however you want.

Is that something new they are doing?

Every set we've done they've been pre bent.

And pics of your stiffners? PM me some if you dont feel like posting them up.

It would actually make sense to send them flat, smaller box, might save you some money on shipping.

i was wondering the same, my rs's bent up fine....

ruffstuff mentions on their website that pre-bending the major bend on theirs adds significantly to shipping.... mine arrived in a box the size of a 7 foot 2x6.

start your own company, and offer em pre-bent. we can let the market speak.

Back