• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

End of a Jeep era...opinions?

BrentNClemson

NAXJA Forum User
This might be kinda long...but I'd love some opinions!

So I've had the XJ for about 6 years now. I built it up from a stock daily-driver to a pretty competent trail machine...35's w/ all the goodies. After retiring her from daily-driving duty, the body went downhill...the passenger side is pretty trashed.

I had a blast in that thing in college, but a few years out of school, it's not the same. I don't have the time or the friends nearby to spend any time off-road. The poor Jeep has been sitting in the garage for the past couple years... The closest thing to off-road she's seen was loading her up for a weekend car-camping trip. Besides that, I pick up stuff from Lowe's every once in a while... Even that doesn't work that well, the leaf springs were almost inverted with the back full of mulch and sand bags!!

I've also gotten into motorcycles in the past couple years and spend any free weekend days in the mountains in 1-wheel drive instead of 4.

So...what do to... 1)eBay, maybe get a few thousand, 2)Parting out, probably get $4k total, 3)??

I just don't think I could part it out...waaay too much blood and sweat in it...I'd much rather see it enjoyed. I know plenty of people have gone from project to project and not gotten too attached, but not so for me. On the other hand, I'm not sure about selling it whole...there's not a huge market for a dented XJ w/ no back seat and a gutted interior.

What does the forum think?

You're a Quitter! :D

I'd say keep it you'll never get back whats in it and its paid off so drive her til she blows!

once you see it go, the image will be burnt into your soul for good...then every xj driving down the road will remind you of what you once had

i can't speak for everyone, but i'd happily watch my rig sit and rot before selling it off to some snot-nosed kid...remember jeeps are built, not bought

i can't speak for everyone, but i'd happily watch my rig sit and rot before selling it off to some snot-nosed kid...remember jeeps are built, not bought

I'll agree with that! :cheers:

I empathize, you and your delema. I looked at my Uwharrie stickers on my passenger visor and the newest one is 3 years old. I almost want to puke.

On the other hand, I have become more involved here, on this site, with the knowledge that our primary function is that of a wheeling comunity, not a typing one.

That being said, I have a couple of jeep issues to work out and I fully intend to wheel with these (pardon the expression) jokers 'till the wheels fall off!

Come on and join us if ya' want to.

35's and all the goodies on a '92 xj.
Mike

It's true, I guess I am a quitter!!

muddyrocks, I've only been Uwharrie twice, but have a sticker on my winshield from 2005...that's a while ago... The last time I went to Tellico was in late 06, now we can't even go there, it's sad.

To make the thread more interesting, here are a couple pics from my last Tellico trip. I was pretty pumped about making it up Lower 2....but don't have any pictures of that...

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

One more key piece of information... Selling the Jeep would result in much-needed garage space and I've gotten the wife to agree to purchase another bike. You know, one that she'd be more comfortable on, of course...

Compromise is key to a healthy marriage. Put her up on a queen seat and see her shine!

I never had my Cherrokee to Tellico but had my Wrangler there and, yeah it really saddens me to have it closed now that I'm so close to being xj ready.

Best luck with a tough choice.

HAte to see you sell it but understand that people and there hobies change. There are quite a few places fairly close now days to wheel. We have Gulches, I've never been but am told it rocks, URE, CAllantee, HArlan, and some others that are further. All in all those are some decent places to wheel. Unfortuately most of them are a giid drive away. We have the Crawl in AL in July comoing up. Come out and wheel her one more time.

Every time I contemplate selling one of the jeeps, I can't justify doing it for what I would realistically be able to sell it for. For the little money I could get out of it, I'd rather keep it collecting dust in the garage.

If parting it out is too much work for you then forget about repairing the body! It's a lot of time and money that you will never get nearly the return on your investment in parts/materials, and not even counting your time.

My $.02; keep it or trade it straight up for a new toy.

I'd say keep it you'll never get back whats in it.....

For the little money I could get out of it, I'd rather keep it collecting dust in the garage.

I've never understood this concept. It's not a freakin' Yenko Camaro. It's a XJ and it is depreciating. The longer it sits, the less it's worth. If you don't ever get to use the thing, what is the point of letting it rot in your garage for the next 5 - 10 years. To the point where when you do finally get rid of it, it's for pennies on the dollar. I had about $16,000 into my XJ, sold it for $5,500. And someone is enjoying the hell out of it, instead of it sitting in my garage..............:yelclap:

Garage, not a daily driver, man I'd go with a TJ instead of a bike, best of both worlds. Not to mention you can have fun wrenching on the TJ.

Sell it. In 18 months when you miss it, buy a beater for $500, give it a 2" boost and some AT's - you'll discover its fun all over again.

Garage, not a daily driver, man I'd go with a TJ instead of a bike, best of both worlds. Not to mention you can have fun wrenching on the TJ.

I like your thinking but My dream jeep is currently an 07 LJ Rubicon. :)

Great comments guys, thanks!!

It's tough to move on from something I spent so much time on...but I think it's time. A couple weeks ago I threw some wooden pallets in the back of the Jeep to take them to the dump. I looked at her the other day, pallets still inside, and swear I heard, "you're using me for junk storage now??"

I'll probably spend the next few weeks fixing some things I've been meaning to fix for a few years now. There's a howl somewhere in the driveline...gotta figure out where that's coming from...

Back