NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 5th, 2018, 08:41
NAXJA Member

Re: Project: Keeping It Clean

Well,

I've been cranking on this to say the least. Need to get working on the buggy, so this thing needs out!

So, got the power steering flushed through real well. Flush over a gallon through.

I used a combination of the wheels elevated to turn, and a way to turn the PS pump (something I learned from bleeding my full hydro system).

Turn the wheels half a dozen to dozen times, then run the pump (slowly) to flush. Repeat for what seems like eternity

Did some wiring harness "unmending" for O2 Sensors.

Pretty well there:

It got loomed and put all back in the rail cover after.

Dirtbound Steering Box Spacer got welded up and painted. Not my finest welding/painting, but it was late, I was tired, and no one's going to see it.

I did have to take some material off the bottom corner, and the front top corner for mine to sit right.

I went to install it, and the bolts were just not going in like they should. Even my 1/2" impact didn't want to make them go. So, since I didn't want to risk snapping a bolt or breaking the box...out came the taps. Retapped and threaded (really just cleaning up the threads) of the steering box and the bolts. Went together like a charm after.

Still a pain though since the steering box isn't the most tap friendly location.
Old March 5th, 2018, 08:50
NAXJA Member

So, then came the fuel pump. Oh man...

Got the tank dropped without too much issue.

Then some goodies arrived:

Yukon Zip Locker for the D30, Bosch Fuel Pump, an exhaust Flex Pipe, and a Walker Quietflow SS Muffler.

Pulled the fuel pump, and yeah...I'd say it would make sense why it wasn't working:

Yummy...

The filter sock was just floating around in there, with some nice green gook in it.

So, I cleaned the tank out really well. There was so much crap floating around in there, it was rather disgusting.

So I got the hose, and flushed it out fully a few times with hot water, until no debris or anything could be seen. Then, I wiped the interior by hand with shop towels. Nice and clean after!

Got the tank itself cleaned up, and the new pump installed. I will say, that damn white rings and the new fuel pump wanted to fight me. Took me 10 minutes to get it installed when it should have taken two

So, then came so work needed. This Jeep overall is really clean, but it is still 17ish years old. So, there's some minor rust to take care of on the underside in spots.

The hole where the vent and filler necks come through was bad:

Took a wire wheel on a drill, and went to town. Got it as cleaned up as it was going to get:

And then, out came the POR-15. There were some other minor areas I hit since I was already there. Figured a little prevention now would save a lot of headache later:

I let it dry for a couple days, wiped it all down with Mineral Spirits, masked it off, and threw a few coats of paint on:

Tank got reinstalled, and works like a charm again.

Last edited by freerider15; March 5th, 2018 at 08:54.
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:06
NAXJA Member

So, now that the engine was pretty well there, and the fuel system was taken care of, time to get on the exhaust.

The section from the header to the back of the cat took about half a day. I was in and out a dozen times, getting up and down probably well over 100 times. I added the flex pipe it to help prevent any future cracking of the exhaust manifold. Getting the flex pipe installed, also helps a lot with getting it back in.

I did the following:
- Cut off and reinstall the hanger (which took some of the pipe with it, hence the patch)
- Cut a notch in front of the Cat to get some better clearance
- Cut off, clean up, and weld the old Cat flange to the one going in.

Once everything was in place, the entire thing got wire wheeled, pressure washed, wiped with mineral spirits, and painted in high temp VHT Paint.

Flex Pipe location:

General setup, with a little better clearance than stock:

All together:

Weld are all quick tack-tack. Hold just fine, is air tight, and I risk blowing through a lot less. Exhaust and body (thin sheet)...I hate welding:

All painted up:

I got it back in for final installation.

The muffler and rear exhaust pipe aren't fully in yet. I need to pull the rear pipe, give it the same cleaning, and get the rear hanger by the shackles taken care of.

Last edited by freerider15; March 5th, 2018 at 09:57.
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:09
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

That fuel pump looks delicious.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:20
NAXJA Member

You are putting a lot of effort into that XJ, kudos. It looks to be coming along very nicely. I like how you did the exhaust.
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:49
NAXJA Member

So, not that the exhuast was in enough, to get the O2 sensors plugged back in, I got the radiator remounted, hoses put on, and the system filled.

And, IT RUNS AGAIN!

Check engine light cleared after letting it run, shutting it off, letting it cool down, and repeat (mainly to bleed the cooling system).

Seems to run just fine now as far as I can tell.

I still have a bit of stuff to put back together with it, to get it to driving status, but it's only about a weekend's worth of work away from being there.

I'll be in Vegas next weekend for a wedding, and then there's only a couple weeks until EJS.

So, I'll see how much I'm able to work in it between now and then.

Lots of sleepless nights to come!
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
That fuel pump looks delicious.
Yeah, I threw in some fuel system cleaner (Berrymans B-12) in with the fresh gas. I then primed the fuel system a dozen times or so to help clean out the lines. Didn't want any of that crap fouling up the injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
You are putting a lot of effort into that XJ, kudos. It looks to be coming along very nicely. I like how you did the exhaust.
It's been a whirlwind lately with it. So glad to have it move able on it's own for sure.
Old March 13th, 2018, 18:43
Got Shafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post

Yukon Zip Locker for the D30, Bosch Fuel Pump, an exhaust Flex Pipe, and a Walker Quietflow SS Muffler.
Where did you order the Bosch replacement pump at? For my 93 I've been searching for a complete assembly from Bosh with no luck.
Old March 13th, 2018, 21:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockerwithalocker View Post
Where did you order the Bosch replacement pump at? For my 93 I've been searching for a complete assembly from Bosh with no luck.
He has the newer style that's called the pump module. The older ones are separate from the sender unless you buy the cheapo complete ones.
Old May 10th, 2018, 19:50
NAXJA Forum User

@freerider15

Have you taken any photos of the work you did on the hatch?

You mentioned butyl rope, as well. How were you planning on using it?
Old May 10th, 2018, 22:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALTANAKT View Post
@freerider15

Have you taken any photos of the work you did on the hatch?

You mentioned butyl rope, as well. How were you planning on using it?
It honestly hasn't moved progress wise since those last pictures, except about being moved 20 feet away.

I have some repairs to do on the truck and buggy first, then I'll get back to going on this full steam, hopefully next month.

Housework that got put off getting ready for EJS, has been getting done the last month or two
Old May 11th, 2018, 06:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
It honestly hasn't moved progress wise since those last pictures, except about being moved 20 feet away.

I have some repairs to do on the truck and buggy first, then I'll get back to going on this full steam, hopefully next month.

Housework that got put off getting ready for EJS, has been getting done the last month or two
Not enough hours in the day.
Old May 11th, 2018, 15:30
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
So, now that the engine was pretty well there, and the fuel system was taken care of, time to get on the exhaust.

The section from the header to the back of the cat took about half a day. I was in and out a dozen times, getting up and down probably well over 100 times. I added the flex pipe it to help prevent any future cracking of the exhaust manifold. Getting the flex pipe installed, also helps a lot with getting it back in.

I did the following:
- Cut off and reinstall the hanger (which took some of the pipe with it, hence the patch)
- Cut a notch in front of the Cat to get some better clearance
- Cut off, clean up, and weld the old Cat flange to the one going in.

Once everything was in place, the entire thing got wire wheeled, pressure washed, wiped with mineral spirits, and painted in high temp VHT Paint.

Flex Pipe location:

General setup, with a little better clearance than stock:

All together:

Weld are all quick tack-tack. Hold just fine, is air tight, and I risk blowing through a lot less. Exhaust and body (thin sheet)...I hate welding:

All painted up:

I got it back in for final installation.

The muffler and rear exhaust pipe aren't fully in yet. I need to pull the rear pipe, give it the same cleaning, and get the rear hanger by the shackles taken care of.
Looking good! One can also add a flange clamp to the flex joint for additional ease in disconnecting the exhaust.

Here's how I did it:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...hlight=exhaust