• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken headrest bracket?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Was leaning back, putting some weight into the seat yesterday and I heard a pop! My headrest is definitely more floppy now. My only guess is one of the brackets on the seat frame for the head rest has broken free. Seems like one of them is still holding on and the other is not.

Q: Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Q2: How much of a pain is it going to be to get my seat covers off and back on?

The seat cover on the upright part comes off pretty easy.
I am wondering if the "tube" that the post on the headrest goes in
has kinda popped out.
It is one of those line up the slots, put in, and twist to lock into the bracket things.
They are also made of plastic.
If I could post pictures here I could be more clear having dealt with a lot of things concerning seats in an XJ.

plastic insert may have broke, or weld broke on the part that hold the plastic part. cover removes easily, remove seat from jeep for access i have found several seat with busted weld for the side bolsters too. easy fix once the seat cushion is removed. weld it back and add reinforcement to the bolster wings

1990 laredo seat is what I got.

This is a '91. I thought the weld might have been it seeing as how these seats are known for breaking at welds. But I'll see if there are any broken plastic bits.

Any tips for removing the upright seat cover?

@ralph77 I use imgbb.com to upload images thee days

I have no desire to have a third party picture hosting account so.....

Not sure how '91's might differ from the '97 and up.
But if I figured it out first time I did it so can you.
You can probably check the plastic tubes easy enough.
Pop the headrest and see how secure the tubes are.

Back