• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken track bar bracket bolt.

xj1999sport

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed my IRO double shear track bar with the new unibody mount and i was torquing the bolts down and on of the bolts broke. I think it may be a stud has anyone had this happen before?? I gotta get this fixed asap. Any suggestions?
1316188881.jpg

1316188919.jpg

In my 1997, both the bolts in the picture you show are connected to a little bracket. Remove that other nut, and the whole bracket can be removed from the inside.

Take off that little bracket. On the bench, cut off and drill out the broken bolt, and get a new one that will fit in its place. I would think that would work.

The bracket is just to speed up assembly at the factory. Remove the bracket and get 2 grade 8 bolts with nuts and washers that fit the holes and put them in. Use some thread locker also.

yea it's a bracket that the 2 bolts connect to. Either drill it out or try and grab one from a clean one at the junkyard

Those two bolts are already located at a frame location that is 4 layers thick of sheet metal and the bracket itself is 1/4" thick. A junkyard part or a DIY replacement may be the "best" repair, but Grade 5 or Grade 8 nuts, bolts, and washers will serve the same purpose.

The bracket also serves as the top 2 bolts for the engine mount bracket on the DS. Its nice to have a little extra holding that piece on there. Its also nice not having to try and get a wrench into the enigne bay to take off the trackbar bracket.

Thems was grade 8 bolts until you put heat to them. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Pop that factory one out and make one with some 1/4" plate and some 1/2" Gr8 bolts.

2m4slc8.jpg

Thems was grade 8 bolts until you put heat to them. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Id take a welded Gr8 bolt over a welded Gr5 bolt ;)

Its only got a couple of tacks to keep it together, not fully burned on all the way around the bolt head

Back