• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Mod

Sounds internal to me.

Last edited:
you guys and your durrango boxes are silly phuckers.....you guys realize most saginaw boxes bolt up....
But do they all have the same internal gearing? I have had my original box replaced with a reman OE box that lasted about 2 years. Jury's still out on the Durango box since it's been in a shorts while, but I can bet I won't fail inspection again for steering slop. Honestly the XJ handles as well as, if not better than my Durango. That's good enough for me.

well here it is done. Finally. PSC is a great company to deal with and helped me out a ton. All I need to do at some point is fill my waggy pitman arm with metal to redrill for hi steer and adjust the draglink a bit.
IMG_8012.jpg

IMG_8013.jpg

I threw a gearbox from a 98 durango on mine, got it for $40 delivered. The only thing I did was bolt it on with the addition of a C-ROK inside frame plate for strength. I've had it on for about 6 months with no issues. I can drive with one finger with 31's. I love it.

well here it is done. Finally. PSC is a great company to deal with and helped me out a ton. All I need to do at some point is fill my waggy pitman arm with metal to redrill for hi steer and adjust the draglink a bit.
IMG_8012.jpg

IMG_8013.jpg

Which box is that? Their standard upgrade or the Extreme Duty box? I'm considering a PSC box right now too. What are your thoughts post-install?

just swapped my durango box in two days ago, i touch the steering stops on both sides. 98 5.2 w/o snow plow pack. guess the snap ring is a crapshoot.

The XJ has 3.5 turns stop to stop right?

Can I bench test the durango and see if it turns 3.5 turns to see if I need to take it apart or not?

Mine just showed. Out of a 99 without the plow package and it is 3 turns stop to stop. :banghead:

Ordering the rebuild kit as I type.....

what if you do this mod regardless. a better safe than sorry thing.
and how do you know if the durango has the snow plow option is it somewhere in the vin?

Back