• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Bolt

babers1328

NAXJA Forum User
Was completing a rear end swap in my 88 Cherokee. Went from D35c to D44 out of a 98 Grand Cherokee. Last thing to do was throw the driveline back in. Twisted off the last bolt while tightening the bolts that hold the retainers over the rear U-Joint. Twisted it off flush. Any ideas on how to get it out? I don't want to take the rear end back out.

Twisted it off flush.

unless it broke flush with the yolk?

We did the same thing last weekend on a buddies swap. granted we had another yoke so we just swapped yokes... but since you don't have that option.

can you get at easy outs?
these would probably be the easiest, best idea I'd think. Or you can get an impact driver, not sure if thats the right name for it.
you hit it with a hammer, and it turns (whichever way you have it set for)
so you drill a small hole in the broken piece, put an easy out or something like that in the driver, and hit it (set to reverse) it should slowly remove the piece.

or wait for someone with a better, easier, faster solution.

DON'T USE AN EASY OUT!!!!!!

All you will end up with is a broken piece of hardened steel in your yolk. Good luck drilling that out.

Left handed bit and a ton of heat, helicoil, or a new yolk are your best bets.

u put in a d44 from a zj?
X2

so you drill a small hole in the broken piece, put an easy out or something like that in the driver, and hit it (set to reverse) it should slowly remove the piece.

or wait for someone with a better, easier, faster solution.

Also, don't hit hardened steel with a hammer unless you like digging metal pieces out of your skin.
Ask me how I know.:doh:

The best solution to fixing this would be to unbolt the axle, and throw it all away, then get a real D44.

The D44a you just put in has an aluminum diff housing, and is pretty weak. There is virtually no aftermarket for this as well, and the gearset is different. The factory manual even says not to jack the vehicle from the diff, as it will damage the axle. It really isn't worth it.

The best solution to fixing this would be to unbolt the axle, and throw it all away, then get a real D44.

The D44a you just put in has an aluminum diff housing, and is pretty weak. There is virtually no aftermarket for this as well, and the gearset is different. The factory manual even says not to jack the vehicle from the diff, as it will damage the axle. It really isn't worth it.

x2

That's not even a 'D' 44... Not even worth the consideration to swap.

Well, too late for that. (axle swap, again) I'm running it until I break it. Probably looking at replacing the yolk since it sounds like the easiest way to go. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Well, too late for that. (axle swap, again) I'm running it until I break it. Probably looking at replacing the yolk since it sounds like the easiest way to go. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ya, that's what I thought you would do, and probably what I would do in your situation as well. Good luck with it, hopefully it holds up for you.

Back