• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken bolt

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
i broke the head of a bolt in my 8.25 that holds my cover. how do i get it out? think it crossed threaded too. :/

You can drill it out and then retap. Maybe a self-tapping bolt would work, not sure.

Shouldn't be too hard.

Or if you seal it up real good it probably wouldn't even leak, if it is only missing 1 bolt for the cover.

Good luck!

PS -

You could also try an easy out. But sometimes using an easy out isn't so easy because it snaps off then you have two things to deal with when you could have just drilled the bolt out and tapped a size bigger in the first place!!

thinking of getting a bolt extractor from harbor freight

5-90 said:
Which one? If it's an upper screw, just seal it well and call it good. If it's a lower one, think about drilling it and removing the screw, or overdrilling and retapping.
upper screw. not leaking but dont like the thought of only 9 bolts instead of ten

It should be really simple to get an "ease out" drill a small hole and then use the ease out to back out the bit that was left in the housing.

I haven't used one of these in years, but your post reminds me I need to buy one. Hell, I'm not even sure if I am remembering the name correctly.

But seriously, if it isn't leaking....

Its a valve cover bolt right? Just take off the valve cover and use a locking pliers. Thats all it took me when I broke a VC bolt on my XJ. It only happened 4 times and a locking pliers worked everytime.

I like reverse drill bits alot better then (easy outs) . However if it is only one bolt on the top I would just seal it up with a little RTV . Good luck .

Do you already have the cover off? If so I might try to get it out. If not just seal it and call it good. Its not like there is a ton of pressure on the cover and if it starts to leak you'll know it, gear oil STINKS.

My suggestion is to seal it and dont worry about it. An easy out is the best way to remove it but being that its a top bolt, you probably wont have any problems with it leaking and getting a drill up to one of the top bolts to drill it straight will be a real PITA.

Anthony's_98_XJ said:
i broke the head of a bolt in my 8.25 that holds my cover. how do i get it out? think it crossed threaded too. :/

You probably broke the bolt because it was crossthreaded and too tight.
An easyout might not get it out if it is that tight and a reverse drill will not work for sure.
It is at the top, most likely it will not leak. If you hate looking at 9 bolts. find a bolt, cut the head off, RTV it in place and it will look great.
Or don't look at it. :)

What I would do;

Remove the cover
grind the "broken" bolt even with the sealing surface
center punch and drill the hole out for the next size bigger bolt

I think the 8.25 cover takes a 5/16x18 bolt, drill accordingly for a 3/8x16 bolt and re-tap.

My drill chart lists these drill sizes for the following bolt sizes;

#7 drill (approx, 3/16 drill bit) for a 1/4x20 bolt
#F drill (approx. 1/4" drill bit) for a 5/16x18 bolt
5/16" drill for a 3/8x16 bolt

Back