• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift to fit 29X11.5 R15s?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've found a good deal for some very nice and wide tires. I know, 29" tall isn't anything for rock crawling and going over stuff but I can't resist the rim/tire deal. I need to know how much lift (if any) I need on my 2dr XJ to fit these under without any rubbing? Also, could I trim some stuff out of the way to improve the fit rather than lifting way up in the air.

The guy said he had these rims and tires on a stock Wrangler and there was no rubbing. Not too sure if I can totally believe that unless he never made it off pavement. Any advice on fit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Jamie

people use BBs with 1.5 or 2 inches of lift for 235s and my friend used a 2 inch BB on 31s for a while.

The 11.5s are the equivalent to 295s as far as metric sizes are concerned. They are only 29 inches tall so there is still room in that respect. Has anyone had any experience with these tire sizes?

I think your going to be fine, just don't turn the wheel lock to lock to make a three point turn. I ran 31x10.5 on the stock rims for years, just a little lower arm rub. I have seen people run 30x9.50 with the stock suspension. This is a taller size and it works for them.

They are aftermarket AR rims so they don't have stock back spacing.

btl_fed_xj said:
The 11.5s are the equivalent to 295s as far as metric sizes are concerned. They are only 29 inches tall so there is still room in that respect. Has anyone had any experience with these tire sizes?

Your asking about an odd size tire. There might be someone out the with actual experience, but they might not read this thread. I know many who have run 30 x 9.5 and all the expierenced is LCA rubbing, but like i said, when you disconnect the sway bar and get that XJ flex don't be surprised to find it rubbing everywhere.

Since you aftermarket rims, they might even take care of the rubbing on the LCA's. Will they fit, yes, will there be rubbing, yes.

HTH :)

i think they will fit, but i think unless u get some crazy backspace wheel they will rub driving, if they don't rub turning they will flexing.

i dont know why everyone is talking about him disconnecting, if u look at his sig its a street queen, on that note, i say go for it just dont turn lock to lock.

Disconnected, My XJ with 3" Ruff Country stuffs the 27"SSR's into the fenders, The fenders are now clearanced about 2 inches just form tire rub (no flares). This thing flexes like mad up front. This flex also crushed a tranny line on the pass side. (I'll be adding 2" spacers and 2" taller bump stops until I save enough lunch money for the 6.5 Front coils.
flex2.jpg

Yeah my rig is pretty much set up for a lot of road use but I do attempt to hang with the big boys (well at least the middle weight guys) which is why I am looking at the lift and tires. I've been trying to build up a rig that has the performance of a sports car yet has the off-road ability to hang with 4wd vehicles. I wouldn't mind doing some Baja type races with it once I build up the off-road side of things. Even with only 2wd this little XJ walks all over a lot of "SUVs" out there with 4wd. (like the rice trucks rolling out of Japan). My first Paragon trip is coming up in a month so between these tires and the 2" lift I am shopping around for it should be a fun time.

Thanks for the advice guys.

-Jamie

first off i dont know where ur gonna hang in paragon with only 2wd. even with a 2"lift you are most liekly gonna rub on the LCAs at full lock without the proper bumpstops and backspacing. the baja thing u could definitely do, but rock crawling just isnt up a 2wd vehicles alley, good luck though.

whitefro said:
first off i dont know where ur gonna hang in paragon with only 2wd. even with a 2"lift you are most liekly gonna rub on the LCAs at full lock without the proper bumpstops and backspacing. the baja thing u could definitely do, but rock crawling just isnt up a 2wd vehicles alley, good luck though.

With that, you might hang in there with a rear locker, but you'll need rocker protection and good tow points. If you don't have these then don't even attemp it. You'll mess up your jeep and get your friends :mad: at you.

Dunno, my friend with a 2wd XJ on 31s and a 3" lift hangs with me OK. I have to tug him more than other rigs, but as long as he picks his lines ok, he generally gets through with a lot of trottle and momentum.
He actually did better than a 4wd TJ stock with 30s. The only bad stucks were when they picked STUPID lines.

btl_fed_xj said:
Yeah my rig is pretty much set up for a lot of road use but I do attempt to hang with the big boys (well at least the middle weight guys) which is why I am looking at the lift and tires. I've been trying to build up a rig that has the performance of a sports car yet has the off-road ability to hang with 4wd vehicles. I wouldn't mind doing some Baja type races with it once I build up the off-road side of things. Even with only 2wd this little XJ walks all over a lot of "SUVs" out there with 4wd. (like the rice trucks rolling out of Japan). My first Paragon trip is coming up in a month so between these tires and the 2" lift I am shopping around for it should be a fun time.

Thanks for the advice guys.

-Jamie

Don't want to burst your bubble, but I just came back from NACFest at Paragon. I had an MJ (Comanche) with 4" of lift, 31" tires, 4WD, and a TrueTrac in the rear axle, and I still could only handle the green trails. Paragon has gotten very chewed up since "going public" -- almost every trail has all the earth eroded away, leaving rocks sticking up waiting to grab your oil pan or tranny. Those tires aren't any taller than stock 225/75s. If you think you're going to run Paragon like that, I sincerely advise you to go as a passenger first and then decide how much you want to destroy your ride.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the way I see it. I think you're asking for big trouble.

Back