• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any cigar smokers?

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
I'm bored and I've got 25 minutes before I get off work. Any of y'all smoke cigars? What do y'all like and why? I like La Gloria Cubana Wavells with the maduro wrapper. They are a nice medium to full strength cigar. They are very well made too. I haven't found a poorly rolled one yet.
loveit.gif

Pipes are the way to go. A pipe filled with a mix of Black cavendish tobacco and a little bit of Virginia tobaccos, makes a really mellow, slow burning and cool smoke. Its good stuff.

just wanna say keep it up it is appreciated, my dad is an oncologist and yall keep the bills paid.

not judging, just playing.

Ramsey said:
just wanna say keep it up it is appreciated, my dad is an oncologist and yall keep the bills paid.

not judging, just playing.
Yer REAL funny. NOT.

I smoke a few.....

I can tell you what I like, but its not about that, its about what YOU like, thats all that matters. My tastes run the gamut, from Drew Estates to Hoyo de Monterrey double-maduro robostos. I try to stay about $6 a stick, except for the occasional Padron Aniversaro.
Those who go wheeling with me, know they can find me by following the smoke.

Rev

Rev Den said:
I smoke a few.....

I can tell you what I like, but its not about that, its about what YOU like, thats all that matters. My tastes run the gamut, from Drew Estates to Hoyo de Monterrey double-maduro robostos. I try to stay about $6 a stick, except for the occasional Padron Aniversaro.
Those who go wheeling with me, know they can find me by following the smoke.

Rev
I understand. I'm just trying to make conversation. $6/cigar is bit high for me. I bought an ammo can of La Finca cigars not too long ago. They aren't too bad, but very inconsistant in quality. Some are very good. Some are plugged. Some burn well while others run up the side. They are cheap. 91 cigars plus an ammo can for $60. So far my favorite is the La Gloria Cubana Wavell. Not too pricey either at $65 for a box of 25.

Ralph said:
I understand. I'm just trying to make conversation. $6/cigar is bit high for me.

Try the Drew Estate La Veja Habana line, should be inexpensive and I use them as an everyday smoke. They have several models, and I pay about $3 a stick. If you find a cigar place that carries them, they are gonna be seperate from the other Drews so the lower price doesn't confuse anyone.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Try the Drew Estate La Veja Habana line, should be inexpensive and I use them as an everyday smoke. They have several models, and I pay about $3 a stick. If you find a cigar place that carries them, they are gonna be seperate from the other Drews so the lower price doesn't confuse anyone.

Rev
I buy most of my smokes from jrcigars.com. Their prices are unbeatable. The La Vieja Habanas must be very good. I use as a rule of thumb the availability of cigars on jrcigars as to how good they are. All of the La Vieja Habanas are sold out. They have a good watch list feature though. Put what you want on their watch list and they will e-mail you when they come into stock. From the prices listed, you can bring that $3/stick price down to $1 or $2/stick.

Ralph said:
I buy most of my smokes from jrcigars.com.

Oh man...and I was just starting to like you. Seriously, if you do not have a good cigar store near you, then i can dig mail order, but, if you have a store near you (I mean a real cigar store, not a cig store that sells cigars) I would start being a "regular" most stores will toss you a sample now and then and suggest things you might like.
The extra few bucks I pay is nothing compared to the freebies I get, smokes, trips, dinners...etc. all for being a once a week customer. Not all stores handle regulars this way, but the two that I have been dropping coin at over the last 10 years have.
Even without the percs, it is a good place to sit for a couple hours, have a drink, a smoke, watch a little TV, and socialize.

Of course if you do not have a goos store near you ignore the above.

Rev

No matter how much they pay danny devito to pose for cigar afficionado, no one seems to be able to figure out a way to yuppify this WT habit and effectively market to the masses...yet they keep trying.

"some one get Tiger on the phone"

Beezil said:
No matter how much they pay danny devito to pose for cigar afficionado, no one seems to be able to figure out a way to yuppify this WT habit and effectively market to the masses...yet they keep trying.

Stick to your homebrew.
Cigars had their boom, I for one am glad its over, prices went through the roof during the boom now they are finally starting to come back down. The masses can kiss my ass, I smoke cigars because i enjoy it, same reason you drink your brew. I don't smoke to impress, you don't brew to impress. WT? Yea....I can live with that.

Rev

Beezil said:

Who cares about the yuppie crowd? They'll never go for it because its too unhealthy. (and you know what a picture of health and vitality Danny DeVito is) I like 'em. It gives me another excuse to hang out in the garage.

Rev, We have a decent cigar store here in the Austin area, but they don't give away anything. Between the retail markup and taxes I save $20 a box on my La Gloria Cubanas buying on line.

I'm an infrequent Cigar smoker. Last one I had was for my son's birth. He'll be 1 August 21st! Time for another! I'm partial to Arturo Fuente. The Hemingway's are good, smooth, tasty. I like the "Short Story" for a quicky. And they make a nice fatty wrapped in cedar, I think a Double Chateau??? That is really good, but takes a little more commitment, due to is traditional Cigar size. I've got a stash tucked away in the closet, with Temp/Hygro gauges in there. Haven't actually bought one for a long time. If you treat them well, they stay good.
As a matter of fact, I think it's about time for another. Funny this post came up. I've been thinking of it recently. Had a friend have a baby.... there's a good excuse to light up!

There is an awesome Cigar shop in Salem NH. Its Two Guys Smoke Shop. www.twoguyssmokeshop.com I think they even do mail order. They are the largest cigar store in the country and the 2 guys that own it really know thier stuff. They only sell cigars, and quality pipes and tobaccos. They have a smoking lounge upstairs, you have to be a member to go up to it, but anyways I joined it and it is well worth it. If you join the club you get to try out new cigars when they come in, you can rent humidor lockers, and go to cigar events such as meeting the creaters of certian cigars to give them feed back and get free stuff, The lounge is cool too its has things like a Big screen TV, Poker tables, chess/ checkers tables and a bunch of other stuff. But if anyone is up that way I recomend checking it out, they DO NOT sell anything for ciggaretts or bongs or anything of that nature they are just a really good cigar/ pipe shop. Right now they even have a bunch of Pre-ban Cuban cigars for sale, they cost quite a bit tho.

Bringing this post back from hiding. I agree with Ralph those La Gloria Cubana's are really good especially the series R, and those were my choice for a while but, now I am really liking Indian Tabac Camaroon Legend Maduro wrapped. They are a great smoke, a bit on the sronger full bodied side, but not in an overpowering way. Very good in my opinion.

Any AVO, Diamond Crown, Fuente, espically Opus X when you can find them. The shop by me carries them pretty regularly and they only charge $12 each. Not bad since most places will try to bend you over for $30. Hoyos, the Excalibur are really nice and Ashtons are probably my favs right now. I tend to change brands as the year goes by. Also depends on what I'm drinking as to what cigar I'm smoking.

Ahh - a chance to sit and smoke. How about NAXJA Regional Smokers?

Seriously, I will go on record as saying my all-time favourite cigar - bar none - is the Partagas 8-9-8 by Cifuentes y Cia - even the expats are excellent! (I finally smoked my last pre-embargo, I had a box from 1959 that was a gift from a while ago...)

Failing that, I have yet to get a bad Nat Sherman "House" smoke, they've got several lines that are excellent (from shade-grown wappers to full Maduros & Oscuros.)

If you think yuppifying cigars was a bad thing, how about non-smoking tobacconists? Only in California does such a thing make sense... Honestly, it's not the smoke shops that want to go NS, it's the damn Pilates and Yoga places that move in next to them and suddenly start yammering - like they didn't know. Gawd. Makes me wanna get about 50 guys with cheap cheroots to light up and walk in to these soccermom sweatshops...

Oh - I also have a nice apple-bowl bulldog that I like to fill with a good Burley or Cavendish blend every now and then - both habits keep me from going back to the old two-pack-a-day habit of Lucky Strikes I used to have... Seriously, ever meet a line soldier that didn't smoke - at least for a little while?

5-90

Props... You guys seem to know your cigars...
A long time ago when I was single, I used to go to a few local shops. One down by wells and north avenue and worlwide tobacco on milwaukee. I don't remember names or brands, but the cool thing about theses places was that the guys behind the counter were always suggesting different smokes. Would walk out with a good selection, hit the bar, slug some Basil Hayden down and light up.
thanks to Rev for sharing at Pumpkinfest

...brought back memories

maybe I'll get a few for TFT04

Back