• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 4.56 gears crosspin not fitting!

JasonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What is going on here? why does the cross pin not fit?? these are Precision Gears, and the carrier came from my stock 3.07 gears in my 29 spline 8.25 from my 99XJ?

Other research I did said there is no break for carriers for 8.25...

wtf?

you have to grind a little off the teeth on the deeper gears to get the pin back in, just put 4.10s on my C8.25 and Detroit and had to grind 2 teeth to get the pin out and back. HTH

some are ground a bit from Precision, but still doesn't fit... grinding anymore will lead to heat treating that I dont like...

Jason, you're going to have to suck it up and grind your precious new gears. Just a 1/8" or so off the inside where the pin goes in. Just grind a bit and trial fit till it goes in.

can't you just put the cross pin in for the spider gears (locker) then bolt on the ring gear.

I had to do this for my Dana 44.

Dano said:
can't you just put the cross pin in for the spider gears (locker) then bolt on the ring gear.

I had to do this for my Dana 44.

No you can't. The 8.25 is a c-clip axle and the pin has to be installed after the axles and clips are installed.

I had to trim my gears quite a bit when I went to the ARB. The Trac Lok had a smaller pin than the ARB. The gears were already trimed for the Trac Lok but I had to go more to get the ARB pin in.

The material you remove should be in the heel of the ring gear and there should be no (or very little) mesh there with the pinion gear. So this shouldn't cause any problems at all. I hav'nt had any problems yet and I tow over 5K lbs pretty regularly.

HTH,
B-loose

there are 2 ways to grind.

#1 is what most know, grind the heel of the ring gear. grind off a nice flat edge till the pin will slid in. if your worried about heat the just do a little at a time. or use a die grinder like me. your removing material at a non critical point in the gear tooth so its ok.
#2 notched cross pin. the center portion is notched enough so that you can slide the shaft in far enough to install the clip. then rotate the cross pin and do the other side. then turn the pin 90º and install the bolt.

I've got the 2nd Pin Knotched version in my 8.25
I've also done the first version in my Bro's Rig, Grind and Pray
Either way works, but the Pin Notch just worries me that it will Break eventuly
I vote for version #1
Cruzzin_XJ

Re: 8.25 4.56 gears pinion depth

Ugh... ugly. I guess that is to be expected when modifying a jeep...

If that part of the tooth is "non-critical" why is it included at all?
That's a retorical question.

I guess this is why Chrys didn't make a 4.56 gear-set.

Another question on pinion depth, there was like a 53 thou difference between the numbers on the pinions. Is this a typical difference, or did I read the wrong numbers?

you have to be a little more specific. how much total shim did you put behind the pinion bearing?
JasonXJ said:
Ugh... ugly. I guess that is to be expected when modifying a jeep...

If that part of the tooth is "non-critical" why is it included at all?
That's a retorical question.

I guess this is why Chrys didn't make a 4.56 gear-set.

Another question on pinion depth, there was like a 53 thou difference between the numbers on the pinions. Is this a typical difference, or did I read the wrong numbers?

There was about 30 thou in shims on the pinion that came out, and there was the 53 thou difference in pinion depth between the two pinions, so all together there was about 83 thou of shims.

The 8.25 gears had total pinion depth numbers instead of just single digit numbers like the dana 30 gears which I though was weird.

Rawbrown said:
you have to be a little more specific. how much total shim did you put behind the pinion bearing?

You can buy a notched cross pin specifically for this application from Randy's R&P. It has to be installed in the carrier before the ring gear is bolted on. Otherwise the only other way to do it is to grind the teeth on the ring gear for the cross pin to clear.

The easiest and less intrusive method is to grind one side of the crosspin for clearance. Once the pin is in spin it 90 deg. I can't remember off hand which side to grind though. It's been a while since I set up an 8.25.

I just put some paint on the cross pin and kept trying to get it in, and ground off whereever the paint ended up on the tooth. I dont like it, but it works for now.

as for the shim issue, apparently the answer is that any more than a few thou difference between pinions would be non-ordinary... hopefully this is right.

Back