• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crosspin bolt?

kenallwine

NAXJA Forum User
Well this weekend I was up at Harry's-u-pull-it in Hazleton, PA looking for some gear for my '00 XJ.

I found a ZJ with disc brakes to do the conversion however, when I pulled the diff cover, and looked for the cross pin bolt I was surprised to see a non standard hex head bolt.

I'm not sure what exactly it is as it didn't quite look like a 12-point. Could anyone shed some light on this. Nothing came up on the search.

Could you describe how exactly it is a "non standard hex head bolt"? Which model and year of rear end are you looking at? A little more information might be helpful.

Any chance of pictures? Now I'm curious.

I think it might be a star head (reverse torx). I believe the year was a 96. I want to make sure I have the right socket to get it out. Anyone know if craftsman has 'star' sockets?

Hallo. The cause is worn C-clips and clips grooves in the axles and the LS.
The movement is axial 3mm of the rear wheels.
Sometimes it makes sounds, when the brake shoes are moving with it. LOL

'92 XJ wim

Well this weekend I was up at Harry's-u-pull-it in Hazleton, PA looking for some gear for my '00 XJ.

I found a ZJ with disc brakes to do the conversion however, when I pulled the diff cover, and looked for the cross pin bolt I was surprised to see a non standard hex head bolt.

I'm not sure what exactly it is as it didn't quite look like a 12-point. Could anyone shed some light on this. Nothing came up on the search.

the only thing I have for you on that topic is to post maybe a pic of the bolt, otherwise its likely the torx bits they use all over the place. Or get a 12 point socket? I wish I could help out more.

However, how is that junkyard up in Hazelton? I drive up that way from Carolina a lot and pass that junkyard...is it worth stopping to take a look?

It is worth a stop. There is always something there. It is $2.00 to get in and you can rent a wagon for $2.00/hour.

Back