• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current Colorado trail conditions, who can gimmie a full report?

TC

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the word on the trails this year. any closed due to weather or past fires etc? I'm heading out soon with a group and would like a heads-up if needed. Thanks, TC

or try 4x4trails.net

Most trails are open by now, but some that run in the higher elevations still have snow and may not be passable at all this year. But the sun is cooking the whole state this week, so the snow is still melting and trails are opening up all the time.

AFAIK, Longwater and Hackett remain closed due to the Hayman fire (2002).

Where is CO are you headed?

TC,

when will you be in Colorado? and where?
Me and rosco and a few others will be out there in august. Specifically we'll be at Holy Cross on the 21st of august, wheeler lake on the 22nd, and jenny creek on the 23rd before we head back home.

when/where you gonna be?

mac 'dont videotape my jeep, its a showoff' gyvr

First full week of August, gonna be all over the place. Hitting Marble, The San Juans and a few days around Idaho Springs. Trails for sure are Black Bear/Imogene, Pearl, and Schofield. Pearl is often closed, we'll see how it goes.Hitting some old favorites this trip and will be exploring a few new ones as well. I'm heading up a group of about a dozen rigs (all of them Jeeps) some of whom have never been west of Indy, they're in for a treat.
Thanks Mike, I'll check that out.
Matt, looks like we'll miss each other by about a week. Holy Cross is one of my favorite trails, great for camping and panning, you'll like it. Have fun Buddy, hope to ride with ya again one of these days, get out and go every chance you can. TC

Neat site Mike, very handy! Thanks.
Handlebars, less snow that I've seen that early in the year, looks like the wildflowers bloomed early also, hope the window is long as well. Nice pics. TC

AH tim, too bad we'll miss each other by a week. Oh well, you have fun and then we'll be right behind ya ready to have fun on some of the trails.

someday we'll wheel together, rosco wants to go back to first rock and let me get that damn hill...

mac 'need my payback' gyvr

I did Holy Cross last week and there were no problems. This was my first time on this trail and I really enjoyed it although we were in a bit of a hurry and didn't spend enough time at the top. I did get past the off camber portion above the city, but did NOT get over the next big slab climb. My wife and I were out there for a wedding in Vail and spent a couple days in Rocky Mountain National Park, rafted the colorado from Shoshone dam to Glenwood springs, ran Holy Cross, and attended the wedding. It was a great trip but the sun was VERY HOT in the afternoons everywhere we were. Especially in Glenwood Springs after the raft trip. We even saw a small forest fire flair up by Dotsero after the raft trip. We did see snow in patches in RMNP and here and there up high, but weren't on any 4x4 passes. Jeff - Butternut, WI

Sounds like a pretty nice trip, except for that wedding thing :) . So far it looks like Pearl is still closed, that was one I really wanted to share with the gang. TC

Back