• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Starting/Electrical problem...maybe

Blue96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, if I put the key in and crank immediately...the darn thing doesn't start. Back off and hit it again, fires right up. BUT if I turn it on and let it sit (not crank) for a couple of seconds, then crank, it fires right up! Darn thing acts like it has glow plugs. I would swear its a 4.0 (know it is... a 96 at that). What in the electrical system would do this? I have a feeling something is about to give up the ghost....solenoid? Starter (hope not!)?

Anyone ever experience this or have a thought?

Thanks,

John

sometimes the fuel can drain back out of the lines causing a long crank issue like yours, I think there is a check valve that can cause it, no personal knowledge of it but I've read it on here before, try searching?

supposed to be a check valve in the fuel pump to keep pressure in the system. If it goes bad or gets gummed up with varnish, it will allow pressure to bleed off. The pump needs to run to build pressure again and feed the injectors-- hence the normal start after sitting a couple seconds. There is a thread on installing an aftermarket check valve (from a BMW IIRC) somewhere on the site, but I'd prolly just bite the bullet and change the pump if it were mine.

--Shorty

His should still start though, right? Even if it takes awhile, the fuel should flow through the lines while he's cranking and eventually get up to the fuel rail....

Blaine B. said:
His should still start though, right? Even if it takes awhile, the fuel should flow through the lines while he's cranking and eventually get up to the fuel rail....
It should eventually, but we don't know how long he tried before recycling. If it reliably starts after cycling the key or waiting a while, it's pretty sure to be the check valve, I think.

Listen for the fuel pump. If it has to run for more than a couple of seconds after turning the key on then the pressure regulation valve at the end of the fuel rail is bad. Try this. Get in your XJ after it has been sitting awhile and turn the key to ON. Listen for the fuel pump to stop and then try cranking. If it fires right up then change the fuel pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail. Don't change the pump until you make sure that the regulator is working properly. Common problem, easy fix.

Hoss

Back