• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Cable

lumberxj89

NAXJA Forum User
The battery cables to my 89 xj were replaced with generic cables clamped to the battery hold-down clamp, and the exposed wiring keeps corroding. The dealer charges $100 for the complete system. Anyone have success with other methods?

I made my own but the thing that fixed what you are talking about was I bought an Optima battery. My old crappy battery would corrode everything near it. When I put in the Optima, everything stays real nice. So I guess doing both things fixed my short term (wires) and long term (corrosion) problems.

I went to my local welding shop and got some 1/0 cable for so many cents/ft... I can't remember how much... They sold the end connectors as well, so they installed them for free. I believe the total was less than $10 for like 2 pieces...ie. Ground and Hot cable.

I just re-did my cables using 2/0 Welding cable. Clean all terminals and librally(sp?) coat with OX Guard.

Generic battery cables with the ends installed are only about 10 bucks new at a local parts place.

If you are constantly fighting corrosion, then your battery is going bad. A new one is in order and I suggest the Optima sealed. Good power and holds a good charge, even if you leave your lights on for a few by accident (don't I know it).

izzi mike said:
DXJ,did you do the red or yellow optimas?
thanx,mike

I went with the red since I didn't think I was getting a winch anytime soon. Well now I have a winch and the red works just fine (so far).

I think the main reason I was getting corrosion was the crappy battery, not the cables.

thanks. i know i dont need one today but the heat has to be killing it.the white crust on the cables grows as quick as i can clean them.
mike

hey mike if your if your looking for a battery a little cheaper in price [ and probbley quality too] ive had realy good luck with the autozone duralast golds i run one dead on a few occasions and it still lasted a good long while and thy got some good CA on them too 1100 i believe

Back