• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ fuel issue

Townie

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ cut out while driving, pulled over to curb & couldn't get it started again. All electrical works except for fuel gauge-- dead.

I've got Jeep at stealership for repair-- Need some ideas. Fuel pump? Jeep cranks but won't catch; I'm thinking fuel issues...

:bawl:

there is a recall for the fuel sending unit. if it is out of gas and the gauge reads about 1/4 of a tank that could be the problem. however if it is a fuel pump that would not be covered. pay attention to what they tell you the problem is. if they say it is out of gas and the gauge showed that there is in fact gas in the vehicle, they should replace the sending unit under the recall, provide the recall hasn't been done already, and add some gas in the jeep so you can be on your way. dont let them tell you the pump is bad and they replace the pump AND add gas.

Got the verdict tonight-- 5-star mech replaced the CPS for a total of $273

I love jeeps

on the obd2 jeeps, when the cps shorts or another sensor on that 5 volt circuit, it can shut down the pcm. one way to check for that is to see if the check engine light works. if not that is the problem. unplug sensors one at a time until the light works properly the last one is where the problem lies.

Townie said:

I love jeeps
I don't understand what the crank position sensor had to do with the fuel guage not reading correctly or in your case, not at all.
You may have another problem. The CPS should have triggered the engine light and not affected the fuel gauge.

It's crazy-- everything worked except for fuel gauge. No engine light triggered. But, post-CPS the jeep's starts & runs now... 1st real issue w/ my rig.

Thanks for the replies

Townie said:

I love jeeps
$273? Holy smokes! I suppose that included troubleshooting time as well.

Back