• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Problem

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
The A/C blower motor has stopped working and I'm 90% sure it is due to a connection problem between the blower motor and wiring harness. I used to be able to fix the problem by wiggling the connector and pressing it in. That doesn't work anymore. I can't get the connector off to check it. Is there a trick to that?

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it?

I tried searching and found a ton of stuff about relays and fuses and switches, but haven't found anything about the connection.

Last edited:
It may be overheated, and welded, melted...my 85 did that.

Did you open or lift the grip on the connector?

There's only one connector on the blower motor that I can see. It moves around, so I don't think it's welded. I think it more likely that the connector is broken, either on the blower side or the connector side.

so you wiggled the connector at the blower previously?

chances are it's carboned up, melted or rusted

You need to pull it apart.

It probably doesn't come apart because it's melted.

pull it apart, look at the contact, if they're badly burnt you'll need to cut the connector back and replace the ends wit hregular spade terminals.

this of course aftr you verify 12V at the connector.

if you don't have 12V at the connector you need to check for voltage at the blower motor relay (feed and voltage from the switched circuit). If you have voltage there and not at the blower, swap the relay.

Last edited:
Wild ass guess, but I think the blower motor's contacts are shot internally.
Either way, follow the trouble shooting above: verify 12v at the connector. If not at connector, check at relay.
If, on the other hand, you do have 12v at the connector... try a new blower motor.

It's always worth using some electrical contact cleaner & seeing what happens, too. I've fixed a lot of stuff with contact cleaner.

Using a test light, I verified power to the connector. I cannot get the connector off, tho. It feels loose. It moves around like something is broken. I've pulled as hard as I felt I could without damaging it further. No dice.

. It moves around like something is broken. I've pulled as hard as I felt I could without damaging it further. No dice.

The plug has a locking tab that needs to be either depressed or lifted, depending on the plug style. The tab is probably what is keeping the two halves of the plug from separating.

I figured that had to be it, too, but I can't find any way to release it. It's freakin' weird. Wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't live in one of the hottest places on earth.

I will say this one more more time, the inside of the plastic is probably welded (melted together) from overheating from poor electrical contact sparking and carrying too much amperage from a low voltage that is caused by the poor contacts....age related death syndrome, LOL

Just go buy a 30 amp set of new male/female contact pairs, cut the old ones out install the ones and be done with it.

You can also pierce the motor side wires with the volt meter probes and see if there is 12 volts on one of the wires on the motor side. Be sure to put the other volt meter probe on the battery negative during the probe test of both wires.

I'm sure glad you said that again, because it still wasn't the problem. Connection between harness and motor was clean. It turns out that both points of contact inside the blower motor assembly for the positive terminal were bad - one corroded and the other severed completely. Not sure how that happened, but it means I need a new blower motor.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get one?

I have lots of strong opinions!!!:soapbox:

LOL

Got mine 6 years ago, both at Autozone. Both still running.

Rock auto is great but freight is a high, especially if you need to return it.

Okay, here's where I'm at. I replaced the blower motor and made some progress. The blower motor works now, but it cuts in and out every 15 seconds or so. I then replaced the relay and that did nothing. Used a test light to check power to the motor and found that it did not cut out. So, I have constant power to the motor, but it cuts in and out. Ready... go.

Okay, here's where I'm at. I replaced the blower motor and made some progress. The blower motor works now, but it cuts in and out every 15 seconds or so. I then replaced the relay and that did nothing. Used a test light to check power to the motor and found that it did not cut out. So, I have constant power to the motor, but it cuts in and out. Ready... go.

When you read the voltage to the blower motor what type of VOM are you using? Sometimes when DC voltage pulses you need an analog meter to see the pulsing... since the digital wont see it.
Does all the blower motor speeds work?
Check the blower motor speed resistor that is under the dash behind the glove box.

Back