• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just went for a nice walk

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep just stranded me and my gal. It's been a little slow at turning over the last few weeks but nothing real crazy. Enough to notice. So we get back in after dinner and nothing happened when I turned the key. I worked the shifter through neutral and back while trying to start it but still nothing. I got a jump and nothing happened. Wires going to the starter look good and are tight. So...we hoofed it back home to get hers. Went back and I tried one more time and got nothing. I crawled under, hit the solenoid and it started right up. So...I guess I'll remove it tomorrow and get it tested. Does what I described generally point to brushes, solenoid problems or other starter issues? Search turned up a ton on NSS, etc. My gut says bad starter. Hoping I can just do brushes.

It's a 96 4.0 with the automatic (AW4 right?) and 98,000.

Thanks guys.

-Chris

bad starter

Thanks Olive...just wanted to kinda think aloud and make sure I was processing things right. :cheers:

Bad starter, usually a burned spot on the armature will work intermittanly, really slow turnover starter is dying...

Thanks Rich

Hmmm....Bad starter? :D Been there, done that this past winter...

olivedrabcj7 said:
bad starter
and you can do that for weeks, i had no money but i did have a big hammer. you get the strangest looks especially when you have passengers

Back