• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank no start, but has spark

vickin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 92 XJ 150k.

I was driving it the other day to a buddy's house when it just stalled. It started back up, but hard. The next day, I go out to start it, and now it will not start. It would also idle high, and then come back down as well. Seems as if it was running rough.

I wired in a 94 crank position sensor today. They switched plug connections in 93. I doubt it matters what plug connections they are, as long as they are wired correctly, which I did. I sourced the CPS today off a donor w/ 100k. looks brand new actually.

Still will not start. Fuel pump primes, asd relay receives power, and the pcm is good indicated by Check engine light that comes on at start up then goes away.

I test the coil with a spark light to the dizzy. I have spark to distributor. My guess is that the cam sensor is not working? Is there anyway to check that? I am putting new spark plugs in today as well.

If anyone has any advice that would be great. I could not find a lot of threads on "crank no start but has spark" threads.

thanks

I just checked every spark plug for spark with an inline spark tester. All have spark. I am now suspecting a fuel pump. Going to get a gauge and fresh spark plugs.

I believe that they converted from variable reluctance to Hall Effect CPSs between those years. If so, they simply are not compatible.

I believe that they converted from variable reluctance to Hall Effect CPSs between those years. If so, they simply are not compatible.

renix had the two wire reluctance type cps. I believe I am okay. I am receiving spark. I believe my fuel pump/reg is on its way out. I got the jeep started about an hour ago. Just cranked and cranked it until with pedal to the floor, and it started. Sputtered, stumbled, missed, and etc... upon start up. I think its definitely a fuel issue now. I am sticking a fuel pressure gauge on it tomorrow. Oh and yea for future reference, see below. Ill report back tomorrow. thanks

87-90 RENIX 2 wire variable reluctance / coil pickup
* 91-93 (possibly 94) round connector, 3 pin, hall effect pickup
* 94?-96? oval connector, 3 pin, hall effect pickup
* 97?-01 oval connector, 3 pin, hall effect pickup

Last edited:
I fixed a random no-start on my '87 but not sure if it will help. Bad grounds where the dipstick stud is. Took that off and cleaned it all up with a wire brush, solved the no starts.

Back