• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got some trouble codes for ya

BlueWeasel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '97 XJ sport, auto trans, with 180,000 on the clock, runs like a champ.
This morning had to get around a dimwit driving 35 in a 50 zone and when making the pass the jeep starts sounding funny but makes it to work ok.
After work start it up and its idling high, about 1700 or so and doesn't want to shift properly(shifts hard at a high rpm). I get close to home and the CEL comes on and loses some power but makes it home.
I put the scanner on it and it reads P0700 and P0122.
A tranny code and a TPS code.
Anybody have a similar experience? What to look for?
Maybe a connector come loose or something?
TIA

I have it running out in the garage and it runs smooth at 1700 rpm and the mechanical fan stays on all the time.

Another thing recently, Sunday i pinched a tranny cooler line on a tree stump and had to replace the hose once we got back to town.
It was downhill all the way back and the temp stayed down around 180 the whole time. Never got into "limp home mode".

All I have to say is that I had those codes, and it seemingly was corrected by fixing the grounds.

My '97 did the exact same thing. High idle, ran like crap in gear at idle, would drive somewhat ok when forced to but would shift real hard at high rpm shift points.

Transmission Control Module was the culprit.

Just FYI - the TCM is exclusive to '97....... nothing else swaps in. New ones are over $400.

You might PM planefixer (he's down in the 'Springs) and see if he'd be willing to part with one of his TCM's. I sent him one recently when he thought his was bad and it didn't fix the issue, so he should be sitting on 2 good ones. :thumbup:

p0122 is throttle position sensor voltage low

p0700 is an indicator code for the scan tool operator to look at the TCM for a code (likely a code for the TPS also)

Probably a bad TPS

You might PM planefixer (he's down in the 'Springs) and see if he'd be willing to part with one of his TCM's. I sent him one recently when he thought his was bad and it didn't fix the issue, so he should be sitting on 2 good ones. :thumbup:

Its sitting on my toolbox.I can pass it on if you would like.

Or bring it to the M&G and I'll throw it back into my '97 first aid kit.......

Back