• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all those who have successfully performed the KJ disc swap (8.25")

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I managed to score a set of rear disc brakes off a 2004 Jeep Liberty for $200 total, and it turns out everything is in *perfect* shape (not even a knick in the powdercoating of the backing plates, and the spring hardware looks damn near new)... Rotors are a bit rusty from sitting, but a few minutes in the blast cabinet and they should be quite pretty. All other hardware and equipment is absolutely spotless.

In any case, I've bought a pair of ZJ rear brake hoses which *would* fit, however, one side was manufactured differently than the other, and as a result the banjo block will not fully seat on the passenger side (the block is wider on that one).

To help shorten this charade, can anyone provide exact details regarding the threads used by KJ disc brakes? Namely the following:

• Thread of hard line nut (at the union of the hard and soft line). Most people say it's metric, but I have seen two documented conversions in which the original KJ softlines were used with the original XJ hardlines (the later of which is 3/8-24).
  • Thread of the caliper banjo bolt. I'm at a loss here due to the fact that every jeep in the last 20 years (even to this day) uses the same thread bleeder screw. TeraFlex's rear disc calipers use 3/8-24 banjo bolts as well, meaning I could order their hose kit (including hoses, banjo bolts, copper gaskets, and the weld-on axle tabs) for around $80 if it'll work (part 4355400).
If nobody knows offhand, I'll go ahead and invest in a set of thread gauges and a better caliper to find the answer, but I'd love to hear you guys' $0.02.

Another update - the KJ soft lines are indeed permanently joined to the hard lines so they definitely cannot be used. Supposedly the last year of the KJ (2006) has threaded unions, but I'm not entirely sure of this... I think I might just bite the bullet and buy the TeraFlex hoses.

are kj brakes better than ZJ disc? because if you drimmel out the center of the backing plate just a hair they bolt right up with the d35 rear disc to 8.25

They are the same thing, just dont have to dremel them is all. Explorer brakes are also very similar.

Why not take a caliper down to your local Napa, find some hoses that will work ( i would try explorer or ZJ hoses first) and go from there. Its also not that hard to bend new hardlines for the axle if neccesary, they have pre flared lengths of tubing in almost every size

Back