• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

if you had displacement... id say its doable. "doable" being an arbitrary term. ive driven 4.88s on 35s and know that i want to be even deeper. alas, i am peddling a manual. a buddy also has 5.13s turning 37s on his K5... its a lot more tolerable.

for 40s and small displacement, id want a deeper crawl than that combo will give you. also look into a trans cooler.

id say run 4.88s. but with the knowledge that you want to put in a V8, dont dick with 4:1. the tera kit does not play will with high rpms, so if you do any mudding, dunes stuff, or plan to abuse a V8, it wont live. its a oil starvation issue (strait from teraflex's mouth).

with that said... look into a doubler that will work with your desired trans down the road. youll be MUCH happier. if you want bolt in... the strong box from behemoth caught my eye as an underdrive unit with your selected planetaries. what ever you do... youll be happy if you opt for something with something that gives you front and rear control.

http://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/STRONG_BOX_UNDERDRIVE_KITS.html

talk to ho-bag. i believe his buggy had a doubler unit in it with 42s.

I ran a doubler 231-300 both stock ratios w 4.10s and ax15. Pretty much left 231 engaged at all times and only used the 300 to crawl. It was damn near perfect. On 42s

I would not even call bohemouth, he lives about an hour from me and was damn near the worst dealings I ever had( search internet I am not the only one). I was planning on running and adding his stuff to my site and made it very clear to him that if I were to pimp his stuff he had to keep adequate inventory. Plan was for me to pay cost for my doubler run it for 6 months and then start selling for him. I paid and waited and waited and waited (6 months) never got anything. Requested money back and waited and waited and waited (about 3 months) then I called paypal to get my money back, of course it was past their "complaint period" so they were no help, ended up getting my money back from him in payments. His business plan is all wrong and is customer service sucks too. Yes I agree his shit is nice but you better be willing to wait or never even get your product.

Keep in mind I try to hold my tongue about other offroad vendors but this guy is someone to stay away from.

This may be my longest post(w/o pics) ever.

Last edited:
sypysudu.jpg

mac 'dune killers' gyvr

Yeah I was standing in sand up to my knees on the side of the dune to take the pic...

mac 'looking for jumpers' gyvr

I ran a doubler 231-300 both stock ratios w 4.10s and ax15. Pretty much left 231 engaged at all times and only used the 300 to crawl. It was damn near perfect. On 42s

I would not even call bohemouth, he lives about an hour from me and was damn near the worst dealings I ever had( search internet I am not the only one). I was planning on running and adding his stuff to my site and made it very clear to him that if I were to pimp his stuff he had to keep adequate inventory. Plan was for me to pay cost for my doubler run it for 6 months and then start selling for him. I paid and waited and waited and waited (6 months) never got anything. Requested money back and waited and waited and waited (about 3 months) then I called paypal to get my money back, of course it was past their "complaint period" so they were no help, ended up getting my money back from him in payments. His business plan is all wrong and is customer service sucks too. Yes I agree his shit is nice but you better be willing to wait or never even get your product.

Keep in mind I try to hold my tongue about other offroad vendors but this guy is someone to stay away from.

This may be my longest post(w/o pics) ever.

noted, thanks for the inside scoop.

I kinda want a wrangler. And seeing pics of mac and Mrs Ramrods are making that worse...

You kinda talk about everything. You're like the TH of buying new cars. Talk all day but never pull the trigger...:laugh3:

That's because im running with a wallet full of blanks. If I pull the trigger it'd just be a dry fire. ..!.:D.!..

OK let's see if I can lay all my options out on the buggy ton swap. Buggy is a xj based buggy that was once my DD from '00-'08 then rolled it racing so one thing led to another it became a 2.75 seat xj buggy on stock axles/short arms and leafs.

Plans are to keep the 4.0/aw4/231 for now to work out the ton swap then do the LS/4l80e/???.

Now to what I have at hand...
Almost brand new 16/40-15 TSL LTB (4)
90s KP hpd60 w/4.88 srw
Eaton ho 5.13 and 3.55 srw
Ford 9" 3.55 (I think) 31spl
78 Rear Ford d60 srw unknown gear
Brand NEW in box Superior 5.38 hp/lp gears and master install kit.
Ruff Stuff 3 link kit
TNT ylink kit X2
Bunch of other brackets, tabs, fab crap.

First off I don't do gears, won't do gears. I let someone else handle that mess.

Plan at first was to do 5.13s that's what I got the Eaton, then I Scored the 5.38 set for Cheap. So that was the next plan, find a big spindle rear 60 run a spool, slap 35spl shafts in and burn out. Well finding a 60 has not worked out in my favor, even tossed the idea if a 70hd but no 5.38s available in the aftermarket so still looking for a 60. I have no want to bore spindles so I figured worse comes to worse I'll just rock alloy 31spl shafts in the 60.

OK now to the issues at hand. Found out the kp60 is 4.88 not 3.55 like I had thought for the last 4 years. So now I'm thinking I can try and find a 4.88 Eaton and just get the buggy going. But wondering if they won't be deep enough considering when it had 4.10s and 36s I wanted more. That's why the swap to 5.13/5.38s plus the Eaton was free. ..

Now do I slap the 4.88s in, run it and build a doubler(thanks for the idea Brian! Can't believe I didn't think about one) with the LS power upgrade planed. Or do I spend the money for spool/locker and re gear to 5.38s. I have no plan of going bigger then 40-42s ever on this rig.

Fronts are getting Yukon alloys and Grizzly rear will be spooled/welded(depending on axle choice). Staying coil/leaf till v8 swap.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch. Wow not sorry for the long post.:spin1:

blah

blah

blah...

sounds to me like it really doesnt matter which direction you go in. with what you have to work with, i wouldnt go looking for an axle geared to X.xx:1. pick the ones you want, sell the others, and itll easily fund a gear change in one of your selected axles.

question... why 4L80? its been my impression that its over kill unless your wanting to pump 400+ horse through it. a lot of people are plenty happy with the 4L60.

i think you should talk to guys like John D and Frank Z who have done a V8 swap and see what they suggest for gearing.

Back