• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 XJ Blower Motor and Torque Converter issues

00XJ216

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, Ive searched on line for some answers and came up with nothing so I figured I would ask the experts here.
I have 2 issues on my 2000 XJ 4.0 Auto...
First, the blower for heat/AC works when it wants to. When its not working I wiggle every wire and nothing hapoens. The blower motor, resistor and control head have all been replaced with working good ones.
Thoughts?
Problem 2, I have a leaking trans pan seal. Drained fluid, dropped the pan, inetalled new filter and reassembled and filled with fresh ATF+4. I should say I had to drop the dip stick tube with the pan because it would not seperate. After install and refill, it started throwing troubke codes for Torque Converter Circuit P0740. I erase it and the code comes back immediately. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There is a blower motor relay hiding behind the glove box - you might try swapping it out with another relay from the fuse box under the hood to see what happens. Also, pull and re-seat the blower fuse in case it's corroded or making a bad connection.

If that doesn't work I'd get a wiring diagram and follow the power through the wiring with a test light to find the issue.

Clean and check the connectors for the transmission on the passenger side of the firewall. Measure the resistance for the #3 solenoid at that connector as well. Should be 11-15 ohms. Since you pulled the pan, it's possible you pulled the wire off the solenoid.

Also it's a hotly debated topic, but many folks will swear you must use the originally spec'd Dex/Merc II and/or III in the AW4, and correctly point out that Aisen Warner has always said Dexron or compatible. Chrysler however has a service bulletin stating to use ATF 4+, and I've yet to see a failure or issue caused by using it. (The reverse however is true though, and use of Dexron in Chrysler trannys designed for AT4+ caused lots of early failures).

When the blower motor won't run, check for power at the blower motor either with a test light or with a voltmeter and the blower motor connected.

Back