• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't stay running, except with key held in "Start" position

JiggaLoew

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, longtime lurker on here (love the site), finally had a problem I can't seem to solve or find the information on through searching (here or other forums). Hope you all might be able to help, and I hope I post this in the right spot.

1. 1995 XJ
2. 4.0
3. Auto Transmission
4. NP231

So like the post title says long story short I cannot get my Jeep to stay running except if I hold the key all the way forward, only letting the key come back far enough to disengage the starter. This started today while we were out at lunch, nothing seemed "out of the ordinary" during the drive except the AC "hiccuped" a couple times (kinda cut out, but then right back in) I have had a myriad of AC problems lately and just about everything to do with the AC has been replaced including the evaporator. When I parked it did seem like I only had to barely bump the key towards the off position and the Jeep shutdown. It then started back up just fine. After lunch I went to start it out of habit I usually let the check engine light cycle off before I fully turn the key to the Start position, the Check engine light, brake light, and key buzzer never came on. I proceeded to start the Jeep no problems whatsoever, but as soon as I let go of the key it immediately died (no sputtering, no chugging, no awkward noises) I started it again same thing. I tried checking the fuses under the dash, the fuses in the engine compartment, I tried swapping the relays around to see if the fuel pump or ASD relay was bad, all with the same results. I also tried starting it in Neutral, I've replaced the CPS within the last year. I googled in the parking lot for about an hour (it's hot down here in Florida) I tried "jiggling" the key, using the spare key nothing made a difference. I finally had to get us back to our hotel (just moved down here after the Military, everything is still in storage) so I held the key in the "start" position and eased the key back until the starter disengaged and limped it back to our temporary home about 10 minutes away. I have spent the last few hours trying everything I can to get it to stay running with no luck I am at wit's end. Further info, nothing turns on in any key position; meaning none of the following stereo, wipers, ac/heat, etc turn on with the key in the Accessory position or the On position. If it helps at all for a long while now putting the key into the ignition and starting has had no problems, however when shutting the Jeep down sometimes the key will not turn back far enough to release without a whole lot of "coaxing" and a loud thud (my gf at times has been unable to get the key out until I got home). I do not have any testers or many tools (everything is in storage except a tool box), but I am willing to get them if needed. Just need to get her running asap as it's our main mode of transport. I apologize for the book I just wrote, but I thank you all in advance for your help or suggestions.

My bet would be the ign module on the column. There is a rod that goes from the lock cyl to the ign. module.

My bet would be the ign module on the column. There is a rod that goes from the lock cyl to the ign. module.

not on his 95, the 94-earlier used the GM column with that setup. 95 and 96 were fully electronic.

it sounds like the electrical part of your ignition switch is failing (the part the lock cylinder slides into on the column. they should have it at the parts store and if i remember correctly you should be able to get it out without removing the steering wheel. there are a couple of torx screws that go in from the bottom and hold the top and bottom of the plastic together. you will need the screwdriver type torx driver, the hole is too narrow for the socket wrench type bit.

be careful, one of those holes has the adjustment screw for the airbag trigger in it. you want to leave that alone. I don't have my 95 anymore or i'd go take a pic for you but it should be relatively easy to figure out.

not on his 95, the 94-earlier used the GM column with that setup. 95 and 96 were fully electronic.

it sounds like the electrical part of your ignition switch is failing (the part the lock cylinder slides into on the column. they should have it at the parts store and if i remember correctly you should be able to get it out without removing the steering wheel. there are a couple of torx screws that go in from the bottom and hold the top and bottom of the plastic together. you will need the screwdriver type torx driver, the hole is too narrow for the socket wrench type bit.

be careful, one of those holes has the adjustment screw for the airbag trigger in it. you want to leave that alone. I don't have my 95 anymore or i'd go take a pic for you but it should be relatively easy to figure out.

Thank you for the reply. I have the top and bottom plastic pieces off, I've taken them off before, when I've removed my dash trim for stereo installation. I know the 2 torx screws your talking about, however on the bottom of the lower plastic piece there is a Philips screw between the 2 torx screws that wasn't attached to anything and the plastic around it looks cracked...is that the airbag adjustment, if so do I need to replace all the plastic? I will get a picture up asap. Also I see the electrical part where the cylinder slides into (it is an off white/yellow part) it has 2 electrical connectors that plug into it, it is secured by a few torx security screws correct?

There is an airbag disarming screw but it is under the plastic cap on the top of the steering wheel. No where near where you are operating.

I assume you have the battery disconnected, as you should, when working on a vehicle with an airbag.

The screw I think you are talking about is the third retainer screw for the lower column cover. It is typical for it to break out of the cover.

There is an airbag disarming screw but it is under the plastic cap on the top of the steering wheel. No where near where you are operating.

I assume you have the battery disconnected, as you should, when working on a vehicle with an airbag.

The screw I think you are talking about is the third retainer screw for the lower column cover. It is typical for it to break out of the cover.

Thank you for your time and for the clarification. Yes battery is disconnected, don't need that going off while I'm working on it. The screw sounds exactly like what you described, the cover around it is cracked and the screw didn't have any resistance on it and kinda slipped through. After removing the covers I should just need to remove the electrical connectors and security torx screws to change the part out correct?

Fixed!

Many thanks to all especially Digger87xj and GrimmJeeper it's fixed! :cheers: It was the ignition switch, it was burnt and blackened near the J1 contact, the same wire that feeds into the connector is a little blackened near the end. I will try to attach some pictures, I have read that connection also feeds into the blower motor and as they get older they draw too much power and can melt the connection. I went ahead and replaced the blower motor as well since it had been cutting out. The bottom of the ignition switch still seems to get a little warm at the J1 contact area I'm not sure if that is normal and just due to the nature of the Jeep's wiring...I plan on doing some research on that next. Thank you once again for all the help!

no problem, thank YOU for posting up that your problem was resolved. far too often questions get asked and the original poster never bothers to come back to say whether the advice given helped or not.

glad you got it going again, glad to be of service! :cheers:

Back