• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's this "Carol.92124" wench that's running for Treasurer?

Carol.92124

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I guess I say a bit about me. My name’s Carol Horsley, I’ve lived in San Diego all but 3 of my 44 years, and I have 3 teens (a son at UCSB & two daughters in high school), a dog & a cat. I’ve worked full time at the same construction supply job for almost 13 years. I get out & play quite a bit too (especially now that my kids are self-sufficient).

I’ve only been on NAXJA for about 3 years, but discovered the joys of Jeeps & dirt back in 1988 in a 1974 Wagoneer, and fell in love with the first XJ that I got, in 1997. We'd take the kids & any XJ we had to San Felipe & play in the washes & on the beach. I'd love to someday have both a rockcrawling XJ and a JeepSpeed XJ, but always enjoy my current rig.

I’ve wheeled with and met a lot of you at all the events I've been to. I currently keep the monthly San Diego M&G going. I’ve helped on a lift party, and a gear install or two, and other random wrenching events. I helped out on the Chase crews for KOH in 2008 and the Baja 1000 a week ago.

I do my own wrenching, though it's often with the help of NAXJA friends because (a) help’s necessary, (b) my HOA sucks, and/or (c) it’s just more fun that way! My current lift was “trail tested” under other NAXJA jeeps, and I had to buy...the rear brake line, and our pizza & beer.

I’ve been on both the giving & receiving end of parts railroads & parts donations, and constantly see how much NAXJA folk are willing to reach out & do for other folks they may not even know.
It's a wonderful thing, and says a lot about the group and its members.

And finally (!!), as far as my credentials and skills that are needed to be SoCal’s Treasurer...I’ve done bookkeeping for a family member's small business since 1986 and I do the tax returns for that business too. I’m fairly proficient at Excel, and have strong math skills. At my fulltime job I cashier & reconcile funds (and have full access to the store's money), as well as still doing counter sales, purchasing, and whatever else needs to be done. I multitask very well. I’m responsible & reliable, strong-minded & thick-skinned, I avoid taking sides in personal disputes, and I’m here on NAXJA to stay.

Oh, and I tend to write a lot and talk a lot :wow:

Any questions, feel free to post up or PM me. Thanks for your time & consideration!

Carol

Nice, Rick... You pervy Vball coach. Sheesh.

Neither is of legal age...one is recently 15 & the other's almost 17.
No volleyball, sorry. One plays tennis, one plays soccer.
I'll come visit you & Bonnie, and leave them home where they're safe =).

Perv?

I'm a recruiter!!!

(Need to reload my v-ball team for next year.)
I know about you & your Vball fetish =). And I think it's admirable that you continue to coach, even when it interferes with your wheeling schedule. If I'd lived closer, I would've gotten at least one of the girls onto your team, somehow.

To whom it may concern:
I have known Carol a couple of years now and she is "good people" . As she has said she basically keeps the San Diego M&G on track, is hard working at her job and family and also makes it to more functions than most of us.
Do not hesitate to give her your vote,she has mine.
Gary

Carol,

You are up against Brendan for the position of Treasurer. After reading his profile and knowing (of) him, I would assume you have a good idea of who your political adversary is. What makes you stand out and how do you believe your abilities will fill the position the best?

-Avery

To whom it may concern:
I have known Carol a couple of years now and she is "good people" . As she has said she basically keeps the San Diego M&G on track, is hard working at her job and family and also makes it to more functions than most of us.
Do not hesitate to give her your vote,she has mine.
Gary
Thanks Gary--I truly appreciate the kind words & your vote. You'll still have to chip in at the next M&G though--I'm not buying any votes in this campaign!! :laugh3:

Carol,

You are up against Brendan for the position of Treasurer. After reading his profile and knowing (of) him, I would assume you have a good idea of who your political adversary is. What makes you stand out and how do you believe your abilities will fill the position the best?

-Avery
Well, I like Brendan--he's a great guy...and Aricela makes kickass Carne Asada! I don't remember exactly what Brendan does for a living, other than that he flies all over the place during the week, and makes a point of being home on weekends for his family. His kids are younger, and it's great that he does that. Me, I work in town all week & leave town to go wheeling on the weekends. Luckily for me, my teens are awesome & do well with the responsibility, and I have their dad & my dad nearby if something were to go really wrong.

I do know that I've handled money, record keeping, tax returns, and all things financial for a long time; even as an 18 year old my tax returns were stupidly complex, and I've always done my own taxes, and often those of friends. My ex- & I were audited for his building contractor biz, and passed with flying colors. So I presume I'm doing something right!

I know basic accounting principles; how to track different expenses and categorize them; and how to reconcile a checkbook without help from software. I've been selling construction supplies for almost 13 years, and when they decided to have a separate cashier the powers that be decided they could have me be cashier and I'd still have plenty of brain power left to do 2 or 3 other jobs (including my existing one!). I haven't proved them wrong yet. Money & finance just aren't difficult for me (other than that whole "raising 3 kids in SoCal on basically one income" thing...)

I haven't done much on the tax-exempt side of things, but I am a very quick study on financial stuff, and a strong reader, so I'm not afraid of having to figure out that which I don't already know. I'm also not afraid or ashamed to ask for help if I need it, so unpleasant or unfamiliar stuff won't get shoved in a corner & ignored.

It's easy for someone to say "trust me", and hard to prove that one is trustworthy, but I'd like the chance to show my character.

Well, I like Brendan--he's a great guy...and Aricela makes kickass Carne Asada! I don't remember exactly what Brendan does for a living, other than that he flies all over the place during the week, and makes a point of being home on weekends for his family. His kids are younger, and it's great that he does that. Me, I work in town all week & leave town to go wheeling on the weekends. Luckily for me, my teens are awesome & do well with the responsibility, and I have their dad & my dad nearby if something were to go really wrong.

I do know that I've handled money, record keeping, tax returns, and all things financial for a long time; even as an 18 year old my tax returns were stupidly complex, and I've always done my own taxes, and often those of friends. My ex- & I were audited for his building contractor biz, and passed with flying colors. So I presume I'm doing something right!

I know basic accounting principles; how to track different expenses and categorize them; and how to reconcile a checkbook without help from software. I've been selling construction supplies for almost 13 years, and when they decided to have a separate cashier the powers that be decided they could have me be cashier and I'd still have plenty of brain power left to do 2 or 3 other jobs (including my existing one!). I haven't proved them wrong yet. Money & finance just aren't difficult for me (other than that whole "raising 3 kids in SoCal on basically one income" thing...)

I haven't done much on the tax-exempt side of things, but I am a very quick study on financial stuff, and a strong reader, so I'm not afraid of having to figure out that which I don't already know. I'm also not afraid or ashamed to ask for help if I need it, so unpleasant or unfamiliar stuff won't get shoved in a corner & ignored.

It's easy for someone to say "trust me", and hard to prove that one is trustworthy, but I'd like the chance to show my character.

Carol,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

I have seen your character and I believe your enthusiasm and commitment will be a great thing for the SoCal chapter.

-Avery

Carol,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

I have seen your character and I believe your enthusiasm and commitment will be a great thing for the SoCal chapter.

-Avery
You're welcome, and thank you.

Carol,

Do you plan to run a dirty campaign and if so how much are you willing to pay for juicy information or photos of Brendan, Remi, Avery, and the livestock?

I probably already have the pix, in my "Ewwww. Must burn!" file that I review on a regular basis. But thanks for the offer!!

And as far as a dirty campaign, well, the campaign's being run by a very dirty mind, so the campaign must be dirty by association. But it'll all be in good clean fun, too.

Carol

I say +1 for Carol.
BTW, when are you coming to six flags?

Thanks! And I dunno. I need to get there one more time before Dec 31, since I have the annual pass. Gotta round up friends or family than can go. Maybe the 13th, since I'll be somewhat north on the 12th for the NAXJA Xmas party... hmmm. More decisions!

Thanks! And I dunno. I need to get there one more time before Dec 31, since I have the annual pass. Gotta round up friends or family than can go. Maybe the 13th, since I'll be somewhat north on the 12th for the NAXJA Xmas party... hmmm. More decisions!

Crash over here on the way home.

Bring your daughter. She makes the best margaritas! :D

Back