• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily driver drivetrain opinions needed...

"Wolz"

NAXJA Forum User
I swear I first checked with the search function! After a weeks of reading I have gotten many opinions, but I need a better idea of what would work in my situation.

After owning Scouts for many years I decided that the Cherokee would be a great step up. I picked up a 2001 Sport, d30/8.25 with an auto.

I am going with the RE 4.5 superflex, drop brackets, braces, HD track bar w/ mount and brace, SYE and ACOS for adjustability. I plan on running 32's.

Rigid front bumper with mounting system, C4x4 double tube rocker protection (modified for RE drop brackets) and various skids.

Now the unclear part- I live in Kansas City, each of the seasons are extreme so I need the on-road drivability in all situations, rain, snow, etc. This is a daily driver that will see local trails and a few trail runs in regions close by, the local stuff can be fun but I want to run in Colorado on vacation. Because of the fairly simple stuff around here I have decided to stick with the d30/8.25.

I want to go with 4.56's but I figure while thats being done why not do something with the diffs. I won't be able to afford an ARB or OX so I think selectables are out of the question, unless there are any good selectable options that I don't know of.

I want these axles to work with 32's so I guess new axleshafts and joints are in order, so based on all of this:

1. What should I throw in these axles, internals, lunchbox lockers, etc.?

2. I am not made of money!

Thanks in advance, Matt.

What? Mentioning "owning Scouts" run everyone off laughing?

well...i used to own a scout before my xj, 12" of lift, 35's, full size axles, and a PIA!! one sugestion, if you want to go 4.5", but with drop brackets and the HD trackbar, just order the 5.5 extreme duty kit and have them swap in the 4.5 coils and 3.5 leafs. thats what i did. it was gonna cost more to start with the 4.5 kit then upgrade.

Yeah, but all I ever hear is the RE full-packs sit an inch higher than advertised. So I figured that in the rear i would have around 5-5.5 out of the 4.5 packs and in the front I would use the ACOS setup with the 4.5 coils to level it out and have adjustability for future.

yeah, mine sits an inch higer or so in the bac, but it hasent settled yet. but like i said, it costs more to start with the 4.5 kit then add drop brackets amd hevyduty track bar and such. you'll save bit by staerting with the 5.5 extreme duty kit. RE will swap in whatever springs you want with it.

I see your point. The guy at the local shop here in town quoted me a parts cost of the 4.5 kit w/ drops and braces, upgrade to HD trackbar, trackbar mount AND brace for $25 cheaper than going with the 5.5 kit.

What year and such Scout did you own?

75 Scout II w/ 196, 70 Scout 800 w/196, and in my garage now a 75 Scout II w/196. The 196 is just coincidence.

I live in St. Joe. work in KC. If ya want I can drive my junk down so you can see something close to what you're talking about.

What have you done to yours?

Who do you run with?

I *might* be able to make the meeting next Sunday. I've been wanting to get envolved with your club but work has me stretched. If I make it to the meet where exactly are you guys?, IN the parking lot??

Are you going to Disney the week after that?

Poison said:
it's just awful.... :rolleyes:
as much as i used to be a lifted daily driver person, after driving a 6" lifted cherokee on 33s and 4.10s, i will soon be no longer. i have drop brackets and OME, and it just isnt realistic for somebody who drives more than 10 miles a day. i guess there are no potholes in the south.

and btw, 4.56 and 32s will get great milage :wierd:

Redyouch-

I may be new around here but the way provide your opinions suck. Explain why you have your opinion instead of taking the stance that the way others do it is wrong and your the one thats gonna point them out. Your reputation looks good though, at least you got that goin for ya.

Last edited:
redyouch said:
as much as i used to be a lifted daily driver person, after driving a 6" lifted cherokee on 33s and 4.10s, i will soon be no longer. i have drop brackets and OME, and it just isnt realistic for somebody who drives more than 10 miles a day. i guess there are no potholes in the south.

and btw, 4.56 and 32s will get great milage :wierd:

Dang, I thought 15 mpg on 33s was great, no potholes in KC :doh:

Wolz said:
I see your point. The guy at the local shop here in town quoted me a parts cost of the 4.5 kit w/ drops and braces, upgrade to HD trackbar, trackbar mount AND brace for $25 cheaper than going with the 5.5 kit.

What year and such Scout did you own?

75 Scout II w/ 196, 70 Scout 800 w/196, and in my garage now a 75 Scout II w/196. The 196 is just coincidence.

had a 66 scout 800, with a 4.6 chevy, sm465/np205, 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear. 35's with no power sweeting and non power brakes, from disks! it just needed to much work to finish.

interesting about the price. for me, it was opposite. it would have cost me quite a bit more to start at the 4.5 and add everything. RE dosent give oyu very much credit for parts you swap out, like the trac bar and such. i got my 5.5 kit, with shocks, after tax, but no shipping(picked up at RE myself) for less than the list price. its been said before, call dirk at DPG offroad. he was awsome, and knowledgeable.

Bunch of lift talk but no real answers to your questions, so here you go...
you don't need to upgrade your shafts because you allready have 29 spline shafts in the rear which will be very comfortable around a 33" tire. in the front you allready have 5-297X u-joints which is the same as a D44 shaft.
for the rear I would run a powertrax no-slip or Detroit. both work well. the no-slip is cheaper but needs to be rebuilt once a year.
in the front I suggest a Tractech Truetrac. its a gear driven limited slip with very good driveing characteristics both on and offroad. it should be a decent setup on the icy roads but will require someadjustments to your driving style.
for gears there is only one good option for you which is 4.56. cant go any higher.
4.5" of lift and 33"s can get you just about anywhere you want ot go.

Back