• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer Axles?

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, the snorkel is on, and now, I'm lookin to swap axles. I don't know much, if anything on this subject, so, i'm askin ya'lls opinions and ideas. i couldn't find much searching either, so, please help. I am lookin to swap out to the rear axle out of an Explorer with rear disc brakes, and, i was told they have lower gearing than my stock Chrysler 8.25. Anyone done the swap yet? What do ya think of it? Does it bolt up fairly easy? What's involved in putting rear discs on an XJ?Cuase, i want to regear, and, also upgrade the brakes. Should I just regear my axles and swap to rear discs on my chrysler? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Tylor

92jeeper said:
Alright guys, the snorkel is on, and now, I'm lookin to swap axles. I don't know much, if anything on this subject, so, i'm askin ya'lls opinions and ideas. i couldn't find much searching either, so, please help. I am lookin to swap out to the rear axle out of an Explorer with rear disc brakes, and, i was told they have lower gearing than my stock Chrysler 8.25. Anyone done the swap yet? What do ya think of it? Does it bolt up fairly easy? What's involved in putting rear discs on an XJ?Cuase, i want to regear, and, also upgrade the brakes. Should I just regear my axles and swap to rear discs on my chrysler? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Tylor

1st off, good choice of a donor axle. I have a 98' ford explorer 8.8 axle in my 94' wrangler. This axle is easy to find because there are so many exploders in the salvage yards. Get a 95'+ because these have the real nice disc brakes. Many co like Currie, etc use Ford Explorer disc brake style brakes for their custom axles. You should be able to pick 1 up for $400 or less complete with rotors, calipers, etc. Get the spring plates and as much of the brake lines as you can. For more info and the parts you need to complete the swap check with mountainoffroad.com because these people are real knowledgeable on this swap and are somewhat of the pioneers of this swap in jeeps especially wrangler yj's and xj's. I have a dana 44 in my 91' xj with 35" mtrs. I got this axle complete and it is a direct bolt in, otherwise I would have gone with a ford 8.8 The brakes alone almost make this worth it, as it costs quite a bit to convert to discs from drums. The gear ratios for the ford 8.8 are 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, and the most sought after 4.11 with a limited slip. If you have an auto xj, look for the 3.55 gears. If you are going with bigger tires and want more power try to get a 4.11 geared 8.8
Troy
Troy

I did this swap a couple of years ago. the discs were well worth the effort. The diff is not quite centered but the only trouble with that is you MIGHT have to get a smaller muffler (I payed $35). There are axles around with 4.10 gears and most are 3.55. I regeared to 4.56 to match my front axle. You will have to weld on new spring perches and shock perches. Easy to do. It's a great swap and well worth it.

Try searching Explorer 8.8 or Ford 8.8 or just 8.8 and you will find a wealth of info. I have been researching this as well.

Some info I have gathered...
with the 8.8 you will most likely want to weld the axle tubes to the centersection. also i think they are spring under factory so a soa conversion is necessary (this may include a traction bar). i think the 8.8 is 1" more narrow than the factory xj axles. this may cause clearance issues without the use of wheel spacers.

zj disk brakes can be modified to fit the 8.25 or the d44. downfall of the 8.25 is the fact it can be geared no lower than 4.56 if you plan to go that low(or are already). some that gear the 8.25 lower experience excessive gear noise.

hth

sorry, i wasn't sure if it was 8.8, so, i just searched Ford axle and something else, but, yeah, i didn't search too hard. :gee: Sorry, but, thanks for the info. I already have 33's, so, i would like to have the right gearing. I will try another search, and, check those links posted. I apprecaite it guys. I will check the local yards to see what they have got.

Back