• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vexing PS pump and box issues.

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've had a nagging problem with my steering since the end of last summer, when I boiled the PS fluid while playing in Little Sluice Box.

When I start my rig in the morning, I have no PS until I jerk the wheel a bit left and right, then it frees up, and feels sort of normal. The problem has been getting worse, and after this weekend's Johnson Valley fun, the problem appears to happen even while the truck is hot and running. There were several times on Sledge when I lost the PS entirely (let me tell you how fun it is to turn 10 psi MTR's on JV rock :rolleyes: ), and then it would sort of come back on its own accord. The other part of this problem is the PS box appears to have difficulty self centering when coming out of a turn. It's almost like the feeling when the adjustment screw is set too tight, and the box gets sticky, but not quite as bad. This only started after the aforementioned Box boiling incident.

In short, WTF is going on with this junk? :confused: The PS box is a Kragen (I know, I know :eek: ) rebuild that is about 2.5 years old. The pump is about 5 years old. Both are OEM replacements for a 1988 XJ.

The second problem I can live with, the first gets very frustrating while trying to navigate tight rock trails!

CRASH

Flush the system and/or install new p/s pump. I had the same prob with an Autozone (rebuilt) pump.

This might also fix the steering box issue. :dunno:

You have the burnt box blues.

The box is toast with the varnish inside and the resulting wear from the cooked fluid. The varnish and wear clearance attracts air and leaves the loose spot and the compressible fluid feeling.

New box, maybe new pump, and a fluid cooler will help.

Did you ever change the fluid? Try this first, it's the cheapest thing. If it doesn't help i recommend switching to an AGR pump and box maybe their RamAssist Steering.

Back