• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tools\parts to bring?

Cujo

NAXJA Forum User
I've finally got my rig ready to wheel, after over a year of getting it together one piece at a time. Now, I'm building a box, just cheap plywood, to put in the back specifically for off-road trips, but the question is...what all to put in it. So I thought I would try and start a thread in which you folks could list what you bring, (or what you wished you would have brought), in the way of tools and spare parts, and maybe we can get a decent list together for myself as well as others.

It all varies depending on what kind of wheeling you like, what condition your rig is in.... and how much do you wanna weight it down :)

Here is a list of things to consider (btw, looks for a thread here called "Tools for the giveaway" or something like that....)

0. First Aid Kit
1. You always needs some food and water: the engergy bars, buy a box and load some up along with some bottled water. You never know when you're going to get stranded...
2. Extra clothes (warm clothes) and a blanket or two, plus any emergency signalling devices you think would be useful (lights, flares, whistles, beacons, chemical lights...)

Now on to tools and other goodies:

3. A nice set of sockets (make sure it's both metric and SAE)
4. wrenches (make sure it's both metric and SAE)
5. breaker bar
6. BFH (just make sure you don't overdo on the B)
7. A showel of sorts
8. Towstrap
9. SPare filter and some spare fluids might come in handy
10. WATER for your RAD!
11. SPare lower Rad hose (upper might be good too)
12. spare belt
13. some extra bolts, nuts, connectors, electrical tape
14. HiLift is a good idea
15. Small (just not too small) bottle jack might come in handy
16. Kit of Plugs
17. Hand Cleaner of sorts (wipes are good :D)
18. Leather work gloves
19. Trash bags (big black, heavy duty)
20. Duct tape is a MUST
21. JB Weld
22. protective eye wear
23. GPS, Map, Compass
24. Matches, lighter...
25. Butane soldering iron and some solder and some spare wire
26. Soap (for sealing that gasoline leak)

Ok... that's all that I can think of now :)

oh.. also some carry depending on needs:
- spare ujoints
- spare (previously replaced) engine and tranny mount
- some shock stuff (shock bushings.. barpins... might be a PITA To replace on the trail... but it's possible and might come in handy elsewhere as well)
- spare axle shafts
- inner tube (To stick into your tire when it can no longer be plugged and you are out of spares)
- small oil pump thingy (for filling out diffs and trannies)
- couple rags
- small pipe vise ($15 at home depot)
- compressor of sorts (heavy duty truck/rv type if you don't wanna spend the money on a power tank or quick air II)

I don't think the Forest Service or BLM would be very entusiastic about having someone light up a flare out west right now. Flares are more useful for highway incidents (either accidents or disables).

For the possibility of needing to signal your location off-road in fire-sensitive areas, both Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt sell a strobe light that runs for 24 hours on a single D-cell battery. I carry one in each Jeep, and they are small enough that you can easily pop it in a day pack or fanny pack if you have to hike out of a remote stuck.

It's much safer than a flare, lasts far longer, and is reusable. Cheaper than Dirt's price is a few pennies less, and their's comes with clear and amber lenses. Sportsmans Guide only has the clear.

you do bring up a valid point but that's why I have listed lights and and chemical lights.... the flare though might be useful just because it can start a fire! We are talking about general all season supplies that are good to have along in case of emergency....
Flares are also useful for when you're coming back from the trail on the road and you realize that something is wrong and you gotta pull over on a dark highway... So flares are cheap enough to buy a few and have them for the "just in case" scenarios....

Kejtar

Whatever you choose to bring, Stow it well

I've been caught short by not strapping things down before, and since that day, I've been fairly anal about keeping things securely stowed.

My attention to detail in that regard paid a big dividend when I doored-down a few weeks ago...everything stayed put! I carry a lot of tools (lots more than I hope to ever need) and it would have purely sucked to fish them all out of a stinky ol' mudhole or to get brained by them.

Back