• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse box questions...

cnflxj

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I think my fuse box is goin' bad. The connectors are really loose and everything electric kind of comes and goes. If I hit a bump, the radio goes off, next bump its back on, hit another the dash lights go out, and so on. When I pull the fuses I can see some corosion on the terminals and they are loose in the box. Alright, this may just be a total pipe dream, but is the fuse box replaceable with out completely rewiring? In other words, is there a big plug on the back or just a cluster of wires? I'm afraid to pull mine out to see for fear that something will go really wrong. My Haynes manual isn't much help in this area so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Chris.

If you have a stick shift, I´ve heard the clutch cylinder can leak onto the fuse holder, by the drivers left foot. I´ve unhooked the battery and carefully bent the contacts in the fuse box, to make them a little tighter. Don´t over do it and use a flahslight. A very small screwdriver works best.
I wouldn´t want to try changing out a fuse box, unless absolutly necessary.
Figure out what kind of corrosion it is, if it´s brake fluid, a good household spray cleaner or windex works well.
If it´s the green or white cooties (corrosion), small copper brushes is the only thing Ì've found, contact sprays rarley help much.

don't sweat it man, i had the same problem about a year ago. unfortunately i was still a novice to the auto scene. replacing the entire fuse block is no biggie, it's just really time consuming. when i first bought my jeep, the fuse block was really bad, corrosion, bad fuse connections, everything. i paid a guy to n**ger rig the thing for me, $50 i believe. it worked fine for awhile, if you didn't mind not having your rear wiper and some other things. the fuse layout for xj's has some fuses helping out for a bunch of other stuff than just what is stated on the block. to make a long story short, i replaced my fuse block with another good block, with plenty of wire to crimp with. all you need is patience, it's a job you can do yourself. i did it in about 3 hours. you might also want to check your ignition switch. i hit a real nasty bump the other night, and my radio and a/c went out. i believe it was langer from the board who told me to check my ignition switch. that was the culprit from all along. really easy fix, your connections might just be loose.

Back