• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 front output swap - stange metal/metal rotating noise.

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Gut check time:

Mid december the stock front driveshaft exploded on my '01 WJ, 242. The stock shaft had a rzeppa at the t-case, and single UJ at the axle. Now, once the stock shaft was removed, I heard no strange noises from the case. Fast forward to today, I replaced the rzeppa flange at the front output of the t-case with a yoke style. I rebuilt some minor part of the case at the same time, including the front output seal, front output bearing, rear seal, rear slinger and the chain, nothing else.

I went to install the new driveshaft, and it is 3/4" too long at full compression...that is getting addressed on monday; so I am currently running without a front driveshaft...still...
2-4-09019.jpg

Everything is reassembled properly, and shifting properly,

Whenever I accelerate I hear a whisk whisk whisk whisk whisk metal on metal type of sound from the front output; I had never heard this before. If I take my foot off the gas, the noise goes away, and it is proportionate to my speed.

I put the rear on jackstands, started the Jeep up, and started working through the modes on the t-case. The noise is there, pinpointed to the front output.

Also, when I put the case in 4 Full Time, it feels as though the Jeep is in neutral(t-case and tranny), and the Jeep wont accelerate.The rear tires will still turn slowly, and the front output spins fast.

Now, once the stock DS was out in December, I never ran it through the modes on the t-case, so I have no reference, but the sound was never there.

So, here is the gut check part:

Is the noise due to the fact that without a front driveshaft, and the way the t-case distributes power, the front output is spinning faster than it should at the given speed? When I install the new DS, this should keep the output speed in line with the tire speed, correct?

Please, let me know you thoughts on this one.

Thanks

So I adjusted the oil slinger on the rear output shaft, and the nosie seems to have gone away.

I'm still puzzled by the loss of power in 4 Full Time. Any thoughts?

So I adjusted the oil slinger on the rear output shaft, and the nosie seems to have gone away.

I'm still puzzled by the loss of power in 4 Full Time. Any thoughts?

Maybe it isn't fully engaging, you might have to load it up a bit (maybe use a little brake) to get it to engage.
How is your oil level?

Back