• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Required Equipment/Rules

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to IllianaXJ for compiling all of this info!
Feel free to ask any questions!

From the NAXJA Bylaws -

Section 3: Required Equipment for Event Participation

1. NAXJA VERY HIGHLY recommends that all event participants have a CB Radio.
2. NAXJA requires all listed items to be present, and available for use, for a vehicle to be permitted to participate in a event. Participants are expected to stow equipment and all other items within their vehicle in a safe manner, conscious of the effects of OHV use and possible shifting of items.
3. NAXJA Safety Inspectors will use this list for safety inspections prior to any event. The Safety Inspector has final say in approval or rejection of any vehicle for event participation and may at anytime defer to a second event or club officer for additional ruling.
4. NAXJA expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event. NAXJA is not responsible for assuring an entrant's vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.

Equipment List

1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
1. Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
2. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
3. D-Rings
4. Shackle/Clevis
6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

The Badlands Rules -

. TRUCKS/JEEPS

* 15 MPH limit.
* Seat Belts required!
* Roll bar protection for ALL occupants in vehicle
* NO back seat passengers allowed without above
* Straps required for the safety of the trees
* Winch & Lockers required for trails level 3-5
* Anyone caught cutting down or removing trees will pay for the replacement of same size tree!
* Flags required to be 2 feet above cab of vehicles
* * Recovery is available at most times --- (*There is a fee!)

Last edited:
Mike, I am not sure if this is where to post this reminder. If you want to move it elsewhere, go ahead.

To mount the Badlands flag pole, you'll need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in your bumper.
You may want to do this at home now rather than trying to find a 1/2 inch
drill bit and drill the morning of the trail ride.

BOB

BOB said:
Mike, I am not sure if this is where to post this reminder. If you want to move it elsewhere, go ahead.

To mount the Badlands flag pole, you'll need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in your bumper.
You may want to do this at home now rather than trying to find a 1/2 inch
drill bit and drill the morning of the trail ride.

BOB
Thanks BOB!

Good information!

I have an extra CB and mag mount antenna in the shed I'll bring in case someone does not have one. Even though it is not required, I highly recommend one for trail communications.

Haleyes said:
Thanks to IllianaXJ for compiling all of this info!
* Roll bar protection for ALL occupants in vehicle

Just so unknowing folks don't get scared away, a full bodied XJ does not need a cage to particpate. The body is the cage.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Just so unknowing folks don't get scared away, a full bodied XJ does not need a cage to particpate. The body is the cage.

Ron

Correct!

Thanks Ron!

Where do you all stay. Hotel, Camp? Also on the Equipment list it states D-rings and clevis/shackels. I dont have a winch so I dont have clevis/shackels. Also I only have tow hooks so...... I do have a good recovery strap and everything else. I just want to make sure I have everything req. If need be I can hit up Tractor supply or what ever. I just dont want to buy the wrong thing.

mcnamaag said:
on the Equipment list it states D-rings and clevis/shackels. I dont have a winch so I dont have clevis/shackels. Also I only have tow hooks so...... I do have a good recovery strap and everything else. I just want to make sure I have everything req. If need be I can hit up Tractor supply or what ever. I just dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Just because you don't have a winch, does not mean you shouldn't carry a clevis.
3", 3/4" or 7/8" Screw type. Handy if the other guy forgot his so you can hook on to his bumper with clevis holes.

Remember, recovery strap must not have hooks.

Tow hooks front and rear, OR tow hooks front, and a 2" reciever in the rear. I recomend a hook or clevis insert for the reciever. HF sells hook inserts, all else on-line. You can get a narrow strap in the reciever and pin it in, but it is inconvenient.

HTH

Ron

Ron's pretty much covered it.

As long as you have good solid recovery points and a good solid way to attach them to a strap, you're good. It is a good idea to have a clevis handy. You might want to double the strap or something, you never know. If Rev gets picky with Tech. Inspection, I've got one you can borrow, if you don't get one yourself.

Speaking of the hook inserts for recievers: I recently seen them at Menards very reasonable. IIRC, they were $17 or there abouts.

You guys are great. One last Q. My tow strap is rated at 26 tons. Its the elastic (sp?) kind like a bunge cord. We use them to recover Mil Veh all the time. BUT it has inserts at the end to keep the loop. Kinda like a frame inside the rope. Will this work? I know you can have hooks but i wasnt sure about this. I also kinda hate the thought of drilling a hole in my bumper. Is there an alternate or.... If its required hey no worries its a small price to pay but thought Id ask. Sorry for all the bother. It will be my first event and I just want to get everything right and not cause any problems. THANKS!!:wave:

I'd shoot a PM to Rev Den, maybe with a pic of the strap end for clarification. He's the tech inspector for WF, so it will be up to him. Same thing on the tow points.

mcnamaag said:
You guys are great. One last Q. My tow strap is rated at 26 tons. Its the elastic (sp?) kind like a bunge cord. We use them to recover Mil Veh all the time. BUT it has inserts at the end to keep the loop. Kinda like a frame inside the rope. Will this work? I know you can have hooks but i wasnt sure about this. I also kinda hate the thought of drilling a hole in my bumper. Is there an alternate or.... If its required hey no worries its a small price to pay but thought Id ask. Sorry for all the bother. It will be my first event and I just want to get everything right and not cause any problems. THANKS!!:wave:

26 tons thats a big strap i would like to see that

Back