• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado, 18 to 28 May, 06

drifto77

NAXJA Forum User
rickandpattie2006154.jpg

Well...
Once AGIAN, the wife and I got to take a trip to the BEAUTIFUL state of Colorado!!!!!
Just like last year... I drove the entire 15 hours to get there. I just wanted to get as far away and as fast as I could from Texas as possible.
Made a new friend on Hwy 50 in Gunnison, his name is Officer K. Medina, with the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office. He was so happy to see me, he wanted my autograph!!!
What was it... 57 mph in a 40????
Glad he only gave me a written warning!!! Said he did not wanna ruin my vacation.
I dont care who ya are, down here... thats a ticket!!!

This time the trip was to see a friend get married.
The wedding was an outdoor wedding on the lower end of Camp Bird Road. (Yankeeboy)

Got to do a little wheeling too!!!
Not a lot was open while I was up there due to it still being a little early in the year.
Iam no good at doing write ups or stuff like that, so....
heres what we got to do......
(might not be in order)

Yankeeboy...
Took the turn off that goes to Imogene to see how far we could get. Got accross the creek and just a very little ways up the trail and guess what we found?? SNOW!!! the trail was covered.
6.jpg

we dont get REAL snow here in Texas!!!
Then we continued to make our way up Yankeeboy, got as far as the uppermost bathroom. The trail was covered in too much snow to go any further. Just ask Terry!
notice the starp...
19.jpg

rickandpattie2006336.jpg

Cinnamon Pass to Lake City....
camped out at, i think it was Mill Creek, near Lake City.
rickandpattie2006214.jpg

The next day I wanted to go up Engineer and then down to hwy 550 to complete the Alpine Loop but it did not happen, looked like the weather was turrning sour so we (Terry, Lynn/ the newly weds, her son James, my wife Pattie and I) took the hardtop back to Montrose. (149 to 50) Cost me $15.00 for a flat tire. Just GLAD i did not have to unload EVERYTHING to get to the spare.

Clear Lake...
Or should I say.. made an attempt at Clear Lake near Silverton but got stopped by a snow drift right below the 1st mine.
When your alone and forward motion turns to sideways motion ... its time to quit.
thats the edge just a few inches away from the tire track
rickandpattie2006333.jpg

After that, went to the top of Engineer Pass by way of Silverton then down to Hwy 550.

Peach Valley...
on the north side of Montrose. That was pretty cool, but its not the San Juans.
View from the top looking toward the San Juans.
(sorry for the big pic)
rickandpattie2006263.jpg

Mesa Verde....
rickandpattie2006199.jpg

The wife has been wanting to go there for a LONG time.
Spent 2 days there and STIL did not get to see everything.
On the way down there we stopped at Priest Gulch RV park to see a friend that lives here in Texas, Kurt. Hes up there for the summer.
LUCKY DOG!!!! even if he IS working at the RV park. He had to work, it was durring the week, so we could not get together to do any wheeling.
Mesa Verde turned out to be pretty cool, glad the wife wanted to go.

ANYWAY....
Thats about all we got to do while we were up there.
The WORST part of the trip was the sad drive back to Texas. I hated to come home.
We took the long way home, went down to Durango, then thru Taos, New Mexico and then on to Texas. We did get to see some pretty cool house's just north of Taos though. There called "Earth Ships". Heres a whole site about them... http://www.earthship.org/
front???
wayhome018.jpg

back???
wayhome019.jpg

Guess thats about it, wish I was still there.
5.jpg

Heres the pics....
Hope you enjoy them!!!
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/JeepPower/

Nice photos.
I managed to do a trip to the Central City/Blackhawk area over Memorial Day.
Good times!

No tickets or warnings, but hit a dirt storm in Nebraska on the way out.
I'm used to Semi's dissapearing in Fog, or Snow, and I thought brownouts only happened at home. Guess I learned something ;)

Heres a link to Priest Gulch RV Park...
http://www.priestgulch.com/

Its almost 44 miles to get to Mesa Verde though, but a nice drive.
Heres a map......
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...330|373313|-1084161|303-529-4461|US&2qc=Parks

The RV park is a nice place. VERY clean bathrooms with nice HOT showers. We stayed there overnight on the way to Mesa verde to visit with my friend Kurt Joplin.
If the park aint out of the way for ya and you stay there, drop by Kurts campsite and tell him hello for me. Iam SURE he would enjoy the company also, hes there by himself for now. Not sure when his wife is gonna join him.
(she might be there by the time you get there)
I "think" his campsite is # 91 according to the map. (never paid attention to the number)
You can find out at the office...... find his Jeep....
rickandpattie2006077.jpg

or just look around for him....
rickandpattie2006076.jpg

Just mess with his head a little and dont tell him where you heard my name at first.
laughingsmiley.gif

JohnJohn said:
got the PM about 20 minutes after my response.
I was doing the pm right after my last post.
I type s ................... l ................ o ........................ w, use the
2 finger/hunt/peck/cuss/backspace method.
desperado.gif

JohnJohn said:
Thanks again for all the pictures and info! :)
No problem.
Have a GREAT trip. ;)

hippie.gif

Back