• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seeking Conversation

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
Since I am once again an enthusiastic XJ owner/driver, I've been forum-hopping trying to join or engage in a relevant conversation. The fact is, I've found nary a thread so compelling, thus I've started this generic thread in hope that it will somehow persist.

There is a trail ride coming up on January 17th, and the Cherokee isn't even ready for light trail duty, with the exception of relatively new 235 BFGATs.

Unfortunately, modifications are not in the budget. At this point, it looks like I'm going to be running a stock or a near stock XJ for a while - which is a big change from my old TJ which was reasonably equipped. I look forward to the challenge, but I know I'm going to be bummed out when I get denied from some trails and obstacles.

For the trail ride on the 17th, I still need at least the bare minimum - a front hitch, a CB antenna, and quick disconnects. That shouldn't be a problem, but I was hoping to outfit the XJ with a suite of ARB products and a 3"/31" configuration. That'll have to wait, I suppose.

Anyhow, I'm just posting pointlessly. Since I can't do what I want to the Cherokee at this point in time, I can at least cyber-wheel. :)

I recently got Merrell Orbit Gore-Tex Mocs. They rock! Very comfortable sneaker-esque shoe, without the hassle of laces or even velcro!

I've been wheeling a stock XJ since before I joined NAXJA, way back when. While it's true there are some trails (and I use the term loosely) that a stock XJ can't handle, the stock truck will go places that surprise many people.

sounds like the plans i have for my "trail rig" (read: sit in the driveway shamefully rig) the "wish lift is about 75% collected... april and may will be very busy months in this driveway.. target date is NACfest... it's too cold and icy for me to be venturing out so i (like most new englanders) have resigned myself to web-wheeling.... i agree with Eagle about the stock vehicle.. inchitis is a side-effect of wheeling with the big boys too much... or watching them turn left as you turn right.. but honestly the lift in my 99 is the best mod to date.. big enough but certainly conservative enough for daily duties...
mike

I thought I'd run 3" and 30's until I wheeled Old Fla Rd in the rain....then I was disgusted with my AT's and decided I needed at least one locker...then that begat more lift and some TrXus....and then....well...now I have 5.5 inches of lift and can climb trees :wierd:

Went on the "Chicken run" with my 84 stocker. Had a ball with Eagle even on the go arounds, if that's what you call them. I've got a cheap 3 inch RC kit sitting here with front and rear skids ready to go on in the spring, though by then I will probably have some Dakota springs sitting here so I won't use the short AAL that came in the kit. When I missed the first go around and went up a step that I thought was beyond what my stocker could do and then followed Eagle (He's way smooth in the convincing department :laugh3: ) up an optional go around, I realized this was going to be more fun than I thought. Try it, you'll be surprised at what it'll do. :clap:

Grizzley

Chris, wheel the disco ;)

Here is the gallery I just made for a fella doing a documentary on my rig (don't ask...Film maker in a parking lot last sat night...blah blah)

You can see pics from The run I did with Eagle over two years ago (2" BB and 30" BFG AT's all the way to the last run I did with VTXS....only thing not shown is the current setup with SSR's and Bushwackers...

http://www.authorizedvehicle4x4.com/BEST/index.htm

Yeah, I have no doubt I'll enjoy the capability of the XJ in its stock form, but I know I'm going to be bummed out when I am not able to follow my friends onto more technical trails. :)

Cheap,
Yup, the TJ is sold. A nice man from out around Altoona bought it. It is in good hands.

RJ,
3"/31" is it for me! I'm a pro at resisting additional lift, plus I have an aversion to cutting metal - unlike some ... <cough>cheap<cough> :laugh3: My last XJ was 4.5"/32", and I felt it was too big.

Remember that Land Rover Discovery I bought a few weeks ago?!? Well, I owned it for a week, and returned it to the dealer to trade it for something else! Didn't see that coming. I guess its true that Land Rovers choose their owners - not the other way around. :)

Now we own a nice 2001 Forester, and I love it! It's my wife's DD, and out family car. The Cherokee is going to serve as our family vehicle for more utilitarian needs, such as trail rides and ... Christmas tree hauling.

forester-1.jpg

I've been building an R/C crawler, that I am $1500 into - no lie. If I wasn't enjoying the R/C crawler project so much, that would have been a good start for the Cherokee!

rollingchassis-2.jpg

This thing rocks - mad flex, locked front and rear, 7:1 gear reduction, independent rear steer. It doesn't run yet ... but it steers! :laugh3:

Awesome pics, RJ. I still think you should've kept the 30" tire and suspension configuration. Not that your XJ isn't badass now, because it is! ... but because its always exciting to see lesser equipped rigs exceed one's expectations on the trail. :)

I've actually been flip-flopping between a 2"/30" configruation, and a 3"/31" configuration. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the 3"/31" thing, but only to be able to stick with my friends on the trail. Otherwise, it would definately be the OME w/ 30" MT's.

Between Chris and I this will be the forum to chit chat on!!!

Here's my XJ flexin' out on the ramp. The passenger rear tire is actually on the ground. Its just the camera angle that make it look like the tire is off the ground. :laugh3:

rampxj1.jpg

There's only one issue I'm having with the XJ. When I pull the 231 into high range 4WD on a snowy road, sometimes the tcase chain slips/grinds when I accelerate from stop.

When I push the lever forward just a very little bit while it is slipping, it will grab and stop grinding, with high range 4WD engaged. Low range 4WD works fine, as best I can tell.

I got an extra chain just in case, but it seems like it might just need a linkage adjustment. I'd love to diagnose this without having to crack open the case. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

cshontz said:
Awesome pics, RJ. I still think you should've kept the 30" tire and suspension configuration. Not that your XJ isn't badass now, because it is! ... but because its always exciting to see lesser equipped rigs exceed one's expectations on the trail. :)

I've actually been flip-flopping between a 2"/30" configruation, and a 3"/31" configuration. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the 3"/31" thing, but only to be able to stick with my friends on the trail. Otherwise, it would definately be the OME w/ 30" MT's.

Actually I'd sggest the OME 3" with 30's....was a great setup...rode like a dream and flexed great (letting you keep all 4 wheels on the ground at all times for traction...)

If my rig was a point and shoot rig, where I just did 1 day rides I think it would have stayed smaller, but as it is now, we're often out for a week or two on end, and having to turn around when there's no go around was not an option. Sure I could winch up, but there's noting that disgusts me more than body damage while winching LOL....on the way to camp no less!!
Here's the beast with 30" AT's (ug) and the 3" OME

rj2.jpg

Oh, as an aside, LOL....FOr a while I was sure I had a bad Ujoint or tcase chain...funky Click-click-click-click when I hammered on it from a stop....turns out it was the lil plastic guard for the O2 sensor connector getting rubbed to hell on my CV joint!! EEEEK!!

RJ

perfectxj.jpg

I really dig the Cherokee in this picture. I was planning on doing the same thing (with exception of snorkel), but like I mentioned - I think I'm going to do the 3" and 31" tire instead. Either way, this is what I'm shooting for, at least as far as appearance goes.

Hey RJ i was diggin through some old mags the other day and came across a readers ride for an RJINNH, would that pick be the that OME 3" with 30's or the BB, or am I just losing it and imagining that it was a pic of your Jeep from a couple years ago??

here's 99 with the current 3.5"/ 30's... taken at my new second home in the desert.... this rig is staying in it's current state with the exception of maybe new leaf packs rather than the AAL it has now.... the A$$ sits a little higher, the pic was taken while loaded with 11 days worth of Moab tools and stuff.....
mike

http://www.fototime.com/29186274AA0ED6D/standard.jpg

Moto said:
Hey RJ i was diggin through some old mags the other day and came across a readers ride for an RJINNH, would that pick be the that OME 3" with 30's or the BB, or am I just losing it and imagining that it was a pic of your Jeep from a couple years ago??

Heheh...
4.jpg

That was the rusty's 2" BB with 30's...You don't even want to know how many lifts this XJ has seen!!!

hey thanks Cshontz.. the other rig is far less attractive, but i am less afraid of hurting it... i don't know why i didn't post a pic before...
hey RJ... it looks so......... umm.... stationwagonesque.... looking at the old pics doesnt it?
:wave:
mike

the trail rig is just on a RE 2" B/B and 30's at this point... like every man, i'm wishing for a few more inches..
http://www.fototime.com/0252F204CE73ADB/standard.jpg

hey RJ.. what are those groovy hood vents off of?? i have some Lebaron vents that are going in the 87 in the spring, but i want something for the 99.... i'm also thinkin pretty hard about one of those sexy steel cowl induction hoods from Prestige...
mike

Back