• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 30 REAR DIFFERENTIAL RATIO

sherifabdelazziz

NAXJA Forum User
Gents
i need your advice .. i have 2001 xj with limited slip differential ,however it is now making high noise and as i installed OME suspension with 3 inc lift and 265/75 R15 tires ,i was thinking to change the ring and pinion set ..now i have 2 choices either to get the stock OM replacement or to get other after market replacment with higher ratio .. what is the stock ratio and what would you advice regarding the replacement kind and ratio ?? thanks

You have a D-35 rear axle and a D-30 front axle.

Is your XJ an Automatic? If so it is the 3.55 ratio which all 4.0/Automatic XJ's are from the factory.

If it were me I would try to find a 8.25 XJ rear axle from a 97+ XJ and just replace the D-35. The D-35 is weak and not worth fixing. Since you have a lift your D-35 driveshaft should be fine. Good luck!

yep it is automatic , but do i need to change any other part to install the 97 axel ? and is the difference that big from 3.55 to 8.25 ??

3.55 is the gear ratio. the 8.25, is an axle it is actually called the Chrysler 8.25, the 8.25 refers to the diameter of the ring gear.

it is a HUGE upgrade over a dana 35 if that is what you have in the rear.

it should be a bolt in swap.

If it were me I would try to find a 8.25 XJ rear axle from a 97+ XJ and just replace the D-35. The D-35 is weak and not worth fixing. Since you have a lift your D-35 driveshaft should be fine. Good luck!

X2
Ditch the Dana 35 and go with a 29 spline 8.25 or 30 spline Dana 44. Both bolt in.

The only thing you will need to swap the 8.25 is Ubolts, as stated you may need to change the driveshaft, it depense on the lift height. I know with 3.5 re's my shaft was still a bit long when i swap my 35 out for the 44.

Back