• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine bogging down, trans shifting

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP231/HP D30 front, 4.10's, lockrite/8.8 rear 4.10's, factory LSD, discs/ 33x12.50x15 Goodyear Silent Armor on 15x8 eagle alloy rims. about 81K on the OD

about 4in of lift. (3" skyjunker (sagging major) with 2" spacers and 2" shackles.

it's always seemed a little under powered but with the 33"s it seems like the trans has no idea when to shift. Thing is all the searching i did said that with 4.10s and 33"s my stock speedo gear should be about right on. seems to be worse going up hill. here in TN that can be a problem. also seems to work better on the hills shifting into 3 rather than D. runs pretty decent on the interstate once i get up to speed (about 60 - 65)

i knew that with the 33"s my MPG would drop along with some power loss, but it's gone WAY down.

I keep the engine pretty well maintained as far as fluids go. coolant changed about 6 months ago, trans fluid and filter changed about a year and a half ago, oil changed regularly, although its slightly past due.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

Back