• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee tank skid on Cherokee?

windynmt

NAXJA Forum User
No luck trying to locate a factory 1997+ gas tank skid. I have done the serch with no luck so I bought a 1993 Grand Cherokee tank skid plate and will prove if it will or will not fit on my 2001 Cherokee. Wish me luck.

Tim in MT

windynmt said:
No luck trying to locate a factory 1997+ gas tank skid. I have done the serch with no luck so I bought a 1993 Grand Cherokee tank skid plate and will prove if it will or will not fit on my 2001 Cherokee. Wish me luck.

Tim in MT
Luck (good, even)

Be sure to post results.

Contact me when you get done and I will help you if you need it to get the writeup together. If you don't have a digital camera, just use film and either get a photo cd or send me the pix and I will scan them for you.

Old Man, I have a few pics of the Grand Cherokee skid plate already. Since I am new to entering post and NOT computer savvy, I see that I am unable to paste the picks with the post. I hope I can get a garage pass from the wife to put that plate on maybe Christmas day ;>) Old Man, what address would you like me to e-mail the install info to? I have been reading NAXJA for years and think this is a excellent site with lots of great info and fellow XJers.

Tim in MT

Re: YES,Grand Cherokee tank skid fits Cherokee!

The 1993 or 1995 Grand Cherokee gas tank DOES skid fits on my 2001 Cheokee limited! I believe the skids are the same design EXCEPT for the pseudoframe mount holes. I was lucky to have the factory trailer hitch and used that as a template to mark and drill the holes after removing from the vehicle. I have pics, but have to get them hosted to be seen if desired. It is straight forward, just measure 1 1/2 inches fron the end where the hitch meets the lip and then drill. Bolt that dude up and yer done! Finally another source for skid plates for 1997+ Cherokee

Tim in MT

thanks for the confirmation

Re: YES,Grand Cherokee tank skid fits Cherokee!

Good to hear. I need to get something to cover up my vulnerable plastic tank soon. Maybe I'll find one of these and beef it up some. Try and get those pics posted up, and a good writeup, so we can all benefit. I can host them on my Cardomain site if you wish. PM me if so. Or create a CarDomain site of your own... it's easy and free.

windynmt said:
The 1993 or 1995 Grand Cherokee gas tank DOES skid fits on my 2001 Cheokee limited! I believe the skids are the same design EXCEPT for the pseudoframe mount holes. I was lucky to have the factory trailer hitch and used that as a template to mark and drill the holes after removing from the vehicle. I have pics, but have to get them hosted to be seen if desired. It is straight forward, just measure 1 1/2 inches fron the end where the hitch meets the lip and then drill. Bolt that dude up and yer done! Finally another source for skid plates for 1997+ Cherokee

Tim in MT

Got me a ZJ gas tank skid. Anyone know the installation procedure if you have a hitch? I've got a Hidden Hitch installed and was wondering how y'all (if anyone) did it.

Back