• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission swap

Boomer89

NAXJA Forum User
'Morning, all!

89XJ 4.0, 207,000+ miles, AX-15 5-spd, "vacuum style" transfer.

87XJ 4.0, 115,000+ miles, AT w/OD, unk transfer, but not same as '89.

How tough to put AX-15 into the '87?

Thanks!

Boomer
'89XJ; 87XJ; '57 FC-170; '51 M-38

First, welcome to NAXJA!

It should bolt right up, assuming you swap over the clutch, etc. You probably have the hole in the firewall already to mount the clutch. You'll need to grab the clutch and pedals from the 89, console trim pieces, etc. I don't believe there are any differences in the pilot bearing sizes, and obviously you'll want to install a new one. While everything is out, it might be a good idea to replace the input and output seals on the trans. I highly recommend a quality synthetic oil such as Redline MTL. Don't use GL5 as the high sulfur content slowly eats the brass synchros and generally shifts like crap.

One helpful thing to note is that the xfer case linkage rod is 3" shorter on the manual. As auto trans is 1" longer, this means the mount for the pivot is located 2" further aft for the manual. Its much easier to either swap or redrill the little mount on the body side before you put the tranny in. I had to borrow a right angle drill since I didn't notice this until I was almost done.

As for wiring, it should be an easier swap than putting an auto into a manual. You'll have to jumper the starter interlock wires that went to the NSS and find the wire for the reverse light. Otherwise, just unplug the TCU and sell on eBay for $30.

Back