• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Swap

THE NEWF

NAXJA Forum User
Tired of the AW4 thats in my 94 XJ. I want to go to a 5 speed manual but I don't know what years manual transmissions will bolt in to mine. Also does anyone know if I will have to change the computer.
Thanks!!!!!

THE NEWF said:
Tired of the AW4 thats in my 94 XJ. I want to go to a 5 speed manual but I don't know what years manual transmissions will bolt in to mine. Also does anyone know if I will have to change the computer.
Thanks!!!!!

Correct year/version AX-15 or NV3550 will bolt up (IIRC).

Of the two I'd go NV3550, but being a newer tranny you'll pay more for it (I'd guess). Not sure what the salvage yard picking in NL is like these days but I'd guess it is pretty scarce if it was anything like the last time I lived there and did some scrounging (~20 years ago). Scarce means $$$ in my experience.

If'n it was me, I'd stick with the AW4 - it is pretty much bulletproof in the XJ application. But I hear of 5 speeds going do-do every once in a while. Admittedly, I am biased. After 15 years of 5 speed 4x4s the XJ is my first auto and I love it - never go back.

Not sure about the computer - depending on year (i.e. OBD level) the computer may throw CEs if it doesn't get feedback from the tranny. That is speculation on my part.

You could do a NV4500 (or similar) - but don't expect it to shift like a sports car (or a Jeep for that matter). It is a 1-ton truck tranny. It's also $$$ to adapt in, even if you take the GM/Dodge drivetrain from front to back to avoid adapters. And honestly, it's probably mega overkill for most of us not in the SW US. It is pretty cool though. :)

HTH

r@m

Yes, you will need to change computers. Remi (aka Kejtar) just did this swap.

''Yes, you will need to change computers. Remi (aka Kejtar) just did this swap.''
How did the swap work out?
Are the tranny crossmembers in a different location?
Thanks for the help!!

The swap turned out well. I believe he used the crossmember from the donor vehicle. I'm sure Remi will chime in here very soon. Just make sure to install a pilot bearing.

Back