NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 6th, 2019, 07:28
NAXJA Forum User

Front Drivers side pop when braking in reverse?

So I've been trying to track down a slight noise in the front end of my '01 XJ for a while now...

As I've been replacing parts and eliminating other issues... I've noticed the last few days as I back into my parking spot at work I feel a bit of pop when letting off/on/off the brake pedal. I believe it to be coming from the drivers front. Any ideas how that would tie in to a slight pop I feel/hear when driving slowly thru a parking lot, turning and under braking.

I'm pretty sure I've replace both Dr/Pass hubs w/ Timkens a few years back. I can't see any play in either upper or lower ball-joint. I've replaced my track-bar recently and all bolts are snugged up on my power steering box and other potential loose areas.

One thing I also noticed is that my steering stabilizer bolt (passengers side) is a bit 'wallowed' somewhat. Not a lot but some as I just replaced the steering stabilizer shock this last weekend as it was worn out. Could that be causing this? Anyone know the bolt size and where I could get a new one?

Could it be my front driveshaft? Maybe the U-joints in my front axle? Maybe early hub failure? Could my Brakes be sticking? I replaced the pads and rotors ~ 2 years back w/ Black Magic parts.

Any suggestions that seem to be tied to brakes causing this is appreciated. I hate throwing part after part after part and not getting this resolved.
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Front Drivers side pop when braking in reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post

One thing I also noticed is that my steering stabilizer bolt (passengers side) is a bit 'wallowed' somewhat. Not a lot but some as I just replaced the steering stabilizer shock this last weekend as it was worn out. Could that be causing this? Anyone know the bolt size and where I could get a new one?
I think you're onto something here. Contact your local jeep dealer. Most of the parts guys at dealerships tend to be cool and will gladly help you.
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:17
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
I think you're onto something here. Contact your local jeep dealer. Most of the parts guys at dealerships tend to be cool and will gladly help you.
If you think the stabilizer is causing the noise, disconnect it and see if the noise remains .
Have you checked the control arms for tightness and condition of the bushings?
Loose brake caliper slides can make noise when braking, there are dozens of possible causes.
Noises can transmit through the body and sound as if they are coming from a different part of the Jeep.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:22
NAXJA Forum User

I need to just remove the steering stabilizer and see if that resolves the issue. That shouldn't be hard to do.

Control arms have been replaced a few years back and those are in great shape.

I need to pull the wheel and check the brake caliper bolts. Last time I checked those were good, but they can back out...

I've been chasing "this" noise for a while. Of course it could've been a combination of several noises that I've been slowly eliminating along the way... Ha.
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:28
NAXJA Forum User

Control arms or trackbar!
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Control arms or trackbar!
All new.
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
All new.
It doesn't matter.
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
It doesn't matter.
Explain to me... if they're new they can still pop and make noise? Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to educate myself.
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:43
NAXJA Forum User

It's usually from insufficient torque.
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
It's usually from insufficient torque.
Good point. It seems that the frame-mount of the trackbar may not be torqued to spec as it was feeling like the bolt was going to snap before my torquebar 'popped' at the torque setting. I'll double check that.

The lower control arms are TeraFlex Heavy Duty. I'll double check those again as well.

I'm guessing it's something 'easy' to fix just not 'easy' to diagnose while driving. If only I could ride around under the front end of my jeep while someone is backing down my driveway or backing into my work parking spot. Ha
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

My money is on the lower control arm. Stick your head out of the window and watch front tire as you reverse and brake. I bed you'll see some movement.
Old November 8th, 2019, 16:32
NAXJA Member

Clayton offroad sells a heavy duty 9/16 trackbar bolt and a heavy duty bushing that removes slop in the OEM Jeep trackbar/bushing setup:

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/tjljx...ku=COR-1100110

My bolt was tightened to almost stripping and it still moved around making popping noises. I installed this kit and it fixed it - no slop, no noise afterward.

Pressing the old bushing out of the track bar was rather difficult - I used a ball joint press to remove it and to install the new one. You'll also need to drill the bolt hole larger to accommodate the 9/16 bolt.
Old November 9th, 2019, 16:03
NAXJA Forum User

torque everything ! i did and my clunks went away